Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Sunbreak

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sunbreak

Last night I had one of the best belly laughs I had in months. Brian reluctantly joined me to watch a very strange amateur cake bake off on the Food Network, and the show took a very strange turn at one point. The comments he made upon seeing one woman's sagging cake layers sent me into absolute hysterics. It looked as if she had put on a blindfold and hucked frosting at it. It was actually bald in most spots, and she calmly explained that she had "a little trouble" with it. We exchanged puzzled looks, as her first cake looked relatively attractive and was adorned with complex decorations. I cannot remember exactly what it was he said, but he leaned forward to get a better look and then reacted loudly ("What the...?!") followed by suggesting she use a garden trowel to apply frosting for the next competition. I have no idea why, but that did it. My manly chortle transformed into a hyena-like squeal, and tears began to shoot from the corners of my eyes, which I had squeezed shut so I could filter the shocked expression on his face from my field of vision. My cheeks felt like they were in knots and began to cramp. At one point, I feared I would wet myself and then just black out from lack of oxygen, which, surprisingly, I suspected I would still find humiliating after these years of marriage. Instead, I rolled around in delicious agony on the love seat with my arms wrapped around my ribs, and eventually my giggles dissipated into an octave only dogs could hear. I was honestly clean out of my mind. When I could once again regain my composure, I still went into spurts of giggles for nearly an hour afterwards as I got ready for bed. It was wonderful and horrible at the same time.

Wow. I really needed that. :)

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

LOL!
Its funny the things that can set people off, when i was young (like 12)i heard the expression "funny. perculiar not funny haha" for the first time and it sent me into crazy histerics for ages and then id get those little giggle fits every time someone asked me what was so funny for weeks later! - strange, it just doenst crack me up anymore...

3:29 PM  
Blogger camille said...

What a fabulous read! I love those moments where the laughter is uncontrollable and keeps going for hours afterwards. SO GREAT!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I love a good laugh. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Cleansing, isn't it?

I laughed that way at one of your posts a long time ago. It had something to do with loud noises and a Toyota Supra? Celica? I don't remember the whole post, but I distinctly remember LMAO! I need to do that again.

Maybe some Comedy Central is in order.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love to laugh like that! Isn't it always the silliest things that set us off!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love to laugh like that! Isn't it always the silliest things that set us off!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

That issssssssssssssss the best medicine!

Madelene (my partner) is trying to teach me Spanish and the other night before we went to sleep, I tried telling her that I was full, in Spanish, but it came out sounding like something obscene. We laughed so hard-----in fact, I had to get up out of bed to run into the other room because it got to the point where it was one of those "silent laughs" --the ones where not even a voice comes out, no air, no nothing, just a frozen wide-opened mouth for about 1 minute and then LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDDD guffaws that woke up the entire neighborhood. I've been known to have anxiety attacks while in a fit of laughter.
Good times!!!!

So glad you got the fit of the giggles! :)

9:25 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Whew, I hate/love when that happens. It does feel good afterward though. Always seems to happen to me at the worst times, like in Church or at a meeting, or in a classroom, or when I have a drink or food in my mouth.

5:23 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

Awwww...I want a Brian...and I need to start watching the food network.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

I had a fit of laughter similar to yours when my daughter tried to coax her tired father to play King after a 13-hour workday. She was of course the Princess! His moaning and carrying on was priceless.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home