Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Wasting My Time

Monday, August 18, 2008

Wasting My Time

Erik and I are going in to the pediatric clinic at 9:10 a.m. tomorrow. I became instantly cranky when I called the "nurse advice" line, and she told me that collard greens and kale were great for GI problems. I felt like smashing myself over the head with the phone for even attempting to get in to see someone via this route. I don't know much about children, but I know I have yet to see a 3-year-old gleefully mowing down a plate of cruciferous vegetables, especially when they are ill. I eventually was transferred to the appointment center and was informed our doctor was not available. Sadly, I don't even care anymore. Like it matters! I stated very simply that my son had a GI problem on top of a genetic disorder nobody else in town has/that no physicians know jack about and demanded to see someone who regularly saw children with Down syndrome. Apples and oranges, I know, but I couldn't think of anything else to ask for. Erik's GI problems are likely not related to WS, but children with WS have tendencies toward certain ailments, and I just don't want anything missed.

I plan on being a complete and total pain in the ass, after which I will probably end up calling the children's hospital in Portland, anyway.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I busted out laughing seeing what that lady told you about having your three year old eat. Geez - I still have to 'make' myself eat that stuff :) Way to fight for Erik - hope it goes okay tomorrow.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Good luck today! We all know the frustration you are going through with doctors. I get so tired of telling the same story over and over and over again to a million doctors. You stand your ground and make sure they understand your concerns. Hope you both get to feeling much better very soon.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home