Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Sleepless

Monday, July 07, 2008

Sleepless

Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

-- John Wayne

I guess sleeping isn't in the cards for me this morning. Sigh. Erik was lying in front of his bedroom door, putting his fabulously full lips to the space between the door and the floor, and talking loudly, which startled me out of a series of strange dreams I wasn't enjoying much, anyway. Once I put on my robe and went into his room to deposit him back in his bed, I was done sleeping. I didn't even make it to 3 a.m. I can't complain, however, as insomnia seems to be something I am leaving behind these days. I slept in yesterday until 8 a.m. I can't remember ever doing that before.

This may be the last entry in my blog until I get back. I had a fabulous day shopping yesterday and spending time with my best friends, who were wonderfully supportive and made me giggle until I was actual physical pain. I bought a new notebook to take with me if I feel compelled to "blog." We meet up with my parents at LAX Tuesday afternoon. I feel incredibly lucky they are so interested in the world of WS and how to optimally help Erik. Incredibly, shortly before they left, they bumped into some new friends at Costco, mentioned the upcoming convention to them, and were surprised to discover that this couple had a 36-year-old granddaughter with WS who only recently received her diagnosis. It's funny how things like this just "happen" at just the right time. It renewed our excitement about what is ahead for us this week. Today we will fill out the packet of paperwork Dr. Mervis sent to us for the research they will be doing on Erik and get packed. Another friend agreed to stay here, water our flowers, and care for my cat, making sure she gets her thyroid medication twice a day and doesn't throw any wild kitty parties. We are all finally healthy, and all systems are go!

Goodbye for now...

If anyone will be attending the convention and doesn't have my cell phone number, please e-mail me today, and I'll get it to you.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Have a safe trip out to CA. I wish we were going:( Hopefully wherever and whenever the next one will be planned we will be able to go. We did find the one we attended at CHOP in Philly to be very informational. Gianna was just diagnosed at that point so it was a bit overwhelming but we were glad we attended. Take pictures!!!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

I can't wait until all of you get back from the convention. I am sure it will be worth it for you, a bit overwhelming at times but so worth it.
Thinking of you!
Noel

7:20 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Have a safe trip. Can't wait to hear all about it.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Have a great time. I know it will be good. I can't say that from experience, but I am sure you will have a good time and come back with a fresh outlook. Give Laura and Michaela a hug for me and Caleb. :)

10:46 AM  
Blogger Rev Jo said...

Blessings on your journey. I hope it feeds you.

Take care of you!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I'm so glad you all are healthy. Have a safe trip - I can't wait to here how it goes.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Wishing you a pleasant and eventful convention trip! Don't forget to be yourself, be in the moment, and do whatever comes naturally.

Safe trip!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Have a safe trip!!! I totally feel ya when you were talking about insomnia. I had a 4 day insomnia spell that literally made me walk the earth like a fricken zombie. Not fun.

I hope you get some rest and enjoy yourself Nance!

Miss you tons!

11:32 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

I'm late telling you to have a great time and enjoy yourself, but I still hope you do!

10:26 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Nancy ~ This has been such a long time coming... how great for the three of you. ~ jb///

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home