Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Infection Part Two

Monday, June 23, 2008

Infection Part Two

I thought I was getting better, but I'm not. I will not see a doctor, at least for now, but if there hasn't been a dramatic change in Erik's condition today, we will trek to the pharmacy to pick up his medicine. Last night he was better but still obviously fighting an infection in his sinuses that doesn't seem to want to clear.

My friend with ALS is having trouble breathing. He spent two evenings at the ER last week and all of Saturday night in a hospital bed. He no longer sleeps much and goes days at a time without sleeping at all. It sounds like they intubated him for the first time Saturday, although, thankfully, it was only temporary at this point.

Last night I dreamed I was in the back seat of a small car, zooming along miles of nearly deserted parkway. There was not much to look at. Just an occasional strip mall and a couple overpasses clogged with sluggish traffic above us. I was being driven to the airport, but it was still miles away, and my flight was likely already boarding. I was trying to chat with the other passengers in the car and sound upbeat, but I wondered if I make it in time. When I glanced out the window again, rows of poplar trees lined the road, their long branches defying gravity and stretching up to the sky. Their leaves were the colors of autumn, and as the wind whipped the branches of the trees about, the leaves let go, came down in a bright shower, and were briskly whisked across the pavement in front of us. I felt my muscles relax a bit and the panic ebb away. There was simply nothing I could do from here. I would never make it on time.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Hi Nance,

Sorry to hear about what Erik's going through. I hope he gets better.

As far as your friend not being able to breathe- is it sleep apnea? I'm on day 3 without sleep. Every time I try to sleep, I gasp for air, as though my nervous system has just shut down, leaving me breathless. I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some sleep, but I could totally relate to what your friend is going through.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Nancy, HAving been in your spot not once, but twice, this spring with death-like viruses I feel for you. Being sick with no time out is so so so hard. Hang in there.
xoxoxoxoxoxox
Amy

8:43 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Sorry to hear that Erik is so sick; I hope it runs it's course quickly so he's feeling better soon.

Continued prayers for your friend.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Dream wise... hmmm, how bizarre.
I used to have a recurring dream as a child, i called it my 'travel dream' as it always happened a few weeks or days before a trip away.
It consisted of driving down a long straight stretch of road with tall trees curling over both sides of the road and the knowledge that we would never make it to a waiting aeroplane and the feeling of dissapointment that caused.

My mother told me that it was a mixture of nervousness and excitement causing the dream, i could not imagine myself getting on that plane as i had never been on one and therefore without that important subconcious knowlege i could not further the dream, the nervousness was a fear of something going wrong and not being able to actually go on the trip as well as excitement and fear of the unknown.

Convention restlessness perhaps?

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home