Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Finding the Humor in Things

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Finding the Humor in Things

One of the things I have discovered about myself since I became Erik's mother is that I feel things so acutely now. I no longer can turn off my emotions like I used to do and am proud to wear my heart on my sleeve. In fact, this is the reason I still write here. Good days with Erik make me feel as if I'm walking on a layer of clouds. On the other hand, before I had an off day as a mother, I really didn't understand what a "bad day" was. Before Erik, I heard mothers tell stories about being slathered in their infant's vomit at work or standing in line at the grocery store while their child asked embarrassing questions about strangers' bodies at three million decibels. The tales were amusing, albeit slightly unbelievable, but until I could place myself in their shoes, I didn't really understand that these reports were likely only part of a chain of unfortunate events in one day that made these mothers wish they hadn't gotten out of bed. Now that I am walking the path of motherhood, I know how impressive it is that they did get out of bed and will do the same the next day to try even harder to create a happy life for their children, even if it requires smiling through a face covered in baby burp. Once time passes, most mothers seem to forget the bad and remember the good anyway.

This is from one of my favorite humor blogs. I read it and laughed, so I will share it with you. Hopefully, you are walking on clouds today, but if you aren't, this will show you that you are definitely not alone.

"Stench, Flies, and Animal Crackers"

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Nancy - My oldest son put me in a very embarrassing situation when he was very small. I took him with me when we accompanied my wife to a Weight Watchers™ meeting. He looked at one of the ladies, (whom perhaps) needed WW much more than most of the others, but as he said "Daddy that lady's FAT!" When I tried to shhhush him, his voice got even louder every time he would state... "BUT DADDY SHE'S FAT!!!" ...just as if I couldn't see THAT for myself. He has been reminded of that story so many times over the years, that now when one of his kids says something “like that” (when I happen to be around too), he just gives me that “I now know how you felt pop” looks and it always give me a little tickle in my soul. Even though kids can give you some embarrassing times in your life… they can also tickle your soul. They are truly a gift from God. ~ jb///

8:02 AM  
Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

Thanks for the link, Nancy. Glad you enjoyed it!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hilarious....sounds like many of the family trips I had as a kid!

Thank you for the laugh, I needed that!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

It's truly amazing of all the crazy and back then- stressful times are the most humorous ones. I guess that's where the term comes from: we can laugh at this years from now.

:)

Thanks Nance! Hope you're walking on clouds today!

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home