Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Brace Yourself

Friday, September 08, 2006

Brace Yourself


Erik had a home visit from Bev, his therapist, yesterday. I ran him through all of his new tricks for her to show off his progress, and I actually look forward to her coming. She tried to write down all of his spontaneous words but didn't begin to get them all. He turned on the charm factory and made her giggle throughout the visit. I do love the fact that my kid is so delightful to be around that people want to take him home.

Our IFSP is Tuesday after his group session. Bev briefed me on what will take place and said she suspects one of the physical therapists will suggest we put Erik in SMOs (supramalleolar orthotics). These are braces that fit over Erik's feet and ankles to keep his feet flat. I mentioned earlier that Erik's walking has worsened. It was noted this week that his heel cords are very tight. Being in the medical field, I know that this can be a surgical problem later if it isn't corrected. I don't want Erik to have the tightness and contractures that go with WS and am ready to start the fight to keep his body loose and pliable. Bev marveled at how tall Erik is getting and wondered if that was throwing him off and up onto his toes when he walks. His balance is also very shaky, and we will probably set some goals regarding that as well. His social and language skills are seemingly right on target now.

I love iTunes! I highly recommend my new favorite song at maximum volume...

Collective Soul - Better Now

Oh I'm newly calibrated
All shiny and clean
I'm your recent adaptation
Time to redefine me

Let the word out I've got to get out
Oh I'm feeling better now
Break the news out I've got to get out
Oh I'm feeling better now

Oh I'm happy as Christmas
All wrapped to be seen
I'm your recent acquisition
Time to celebrate me

Let the word out I've got to get out
Oh I'm feeling better now
Break the news out I've got to get out
Oh I'm feeling better now

The world's done shaking
The world's done shaking
The world's done shaking me down

The world's done shaking
The world's done shaking
The world's done shaking me down

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Itunes Rocks!!!! I am so glad Erik is make such great social advances that is wonderful. YOu are so lucky tht you are educated about this medical stuff and no what to look for!!!! I would most likely think tht is was normal to walk on toes. Good job Mom for being on the ball you rock!! The picture is another great one....Can't wait to get one in the mail ;)
Love you!!!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Hold hold... we're getting ones in the mail? :) Psych! :) That is a great pic - I think I will do Brady's 1 year in B&W too.

That's great his language skills are on target. Which therpist is she? I thought she was Physical but you are talking about speech too so I'm not sure. Does he have PT, OT and Speech like Brady or do you get most of that in your group?
Sounds like you are on target! Excellent!
Love- K

3:32 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

I am one of those people that love Erik to death and would take him home in an instant! (And I have never even actually met him. HA!)

I think Daven has the same issues with his feet. I have had about enough of Brace issues however. Sigh.

Have a great weekend Nancy. LOVE YOU!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I read your blog all the time. Your writing is captivating and I am always in awe of your ability to convey your world through words. Very humbling for those of us who stumble through the basics. lol


Anyway....just wanted to say that Erik is beautiful and sounds positively charming. And you, well your a great mom.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Nancy, I'm happy that Erik is doing great in language :))))
Do you know that how long has he got to use the braces? I hope that it won't be as bad to him as it sounds!
Wonderful photos of Erik, please share more with us!!!!! :))))))))))
Love, Kati

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home