Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Sitting Fee

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Sitting Fee



Erik and I drove to Sears yesterday to get his yearly photos taken. It was really an ideal situation, as the store opened at 10 a.m., and our appointment was at the same time. Therefore, there were no screaming kids to upset Erik. I thought we had it made! Since we arrived a few minutes early, I put Erik in his stroller and took him on a tour of the construction site behind the mall. There was an excavator at work biting into big piles of dusty earth that Erik watched intently for a while before we went inside. I reckon those construction workers rarely have women stop and watch them! I didn't wolf whistle at them, though. I have been to Sears once before to get Erik's photos taken, and it was a bit of a nightmare with major computer problems and a double-booked appointment, but they did a great job last year. The same girls were behind the counter this time, which was a plus.

First of all, it was 5000 degrees in the room we were directed to. I had sweat pouring down my back into my jeans as I tried to get Erik to stay against the backdrop. The scenario was instantly very upsetting to him. He would turn red, squeeze his eyes shut, and go into a silent cry. Since his eye drains are still clogged, tears actually squirt out of his eyes all over the place like a little cartoon boy. The photographer and I worked very hard to get the shots we did. That girl was good. She saw that he was upset by a toy that made some noise and didn't try anything like that again. Erik was desperate to get to the wheels on his stroller and wanted no part of the photo session. The photographer said, "Um...boy, he sure does like those wheels," and then quite some time after most kids would have moved on to something different, "Hmmm...it sure is unusual he likes them that much..." I think she was sensing there was a little bit of different going on. I just smiled knowingly and put him back in front of the camera.

After the session, we waited for our photo CD in the lobby, and Erik continued to play with the stroller wheels for another 20 minutes without stopping. When we were finished, I gave him a string cheese and we headed home so I could self-medicate with a gallon of Diet Pepsi and leftover coffee to get through an afternoon of work without passing out from pure exhaustion. I said it last year, and I'll say it again: Next year will be more fun for both of us! In the meantime, we have some beautiful photos to enjoy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aspen said...

Oh I hope I am on your list to get a picture or two. When we took Daven to get his Sears pictures done, she was really great...and patient with Daven.

Funny how she noticed how obsessed he was with his wheels. She truly has no idea, HA!

Can't wait to see them! Love you Nancy.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I can not wait to see all the new pictures!!!! I am so not fond of picture taking day with kids you just never know how it is going to turn out . It sounds like my trips to Sears right down to me sweating....UGGG no fun for the Mom's and it is worse with two since they feed off each other. Keep cyour fingers crossed that we get atleast one good one on Monday.

10:12 AM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

" I CAN'T STAND IT! I JUST CAN'T STAND IT!!" FAMOUS QUOTE FROM GOOD OLD CHARLIE BROWN. WHY DO I SHARE THIS WITH YOU? EVERY TIME I SEE A RECENT PHOTO OF ERIK I THINK HOW CUTE CAN ONE KIDDO GET??!! :)

SHARE THE PHOTOS WITH ALL PLEASE!

BY THE WAY... IT IS SOOOOO CRAZY HERE TODAY! OREGON BEAVERS VS BOISE BRONCOS!! WHAT TEAM TO CHEER FOR?? STAY FAITHFUL DAWNITA... GO DUCKS!!!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. I seem to remember Penney's here in Bend. Not hot, but sweat running down my back. Two kids to photograph. The photographer telling my little girl, who was terrified (and was wearing the new outfit Mom just made, not time to attach the buttons so they were safety pinned on) to say, "Cheese," and little Nancy and her grimace/smile, squeezing out "Tears!" Ain't life grand?!

Love, Mom

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

A - Haha to your mom's post - as my mom said, "How I wished for you to have a child like yourself!" And boy did I get that with Michael... how fun!

B- And so much more important - How ADORABLE that picture of Erik is!! I can't wait to see them all. It looks SO amazing!!!!

Love- K

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home