Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Hyperacusis

Friday, August 25, 2006

Hyperacusis

Dear Parents Magazine Toy Department:

After weeks of careful consideration and comparison shopping, yesterday I purchased your "Young At Art" magnetic drawing board for my son, who happens to have Williams syndrome and sensory integration disorder. Kudos to your design department for the colorful animal-shaped magnet stamps, easy-to-hold magnetic stylus, convenient carrying handle, and decorative padded backing to protect sensitive pediatric laps. I was most impressed with its accompanying sticker proclaiming it to be Dr. Toy's winner of the 100 best children's products. Finally, I simply could not resist the photo of the smiling young girl creating a work of art with it on the front. In short, my son and I were eager to get home to try this toy and fine tune his motor skills.

As he sat on my lap with your product on his, my son was obviously quite taken by the easily recognizable silhouettes left behind by the animal stamps on the board. After stamping some adorable bunnies and kitties together, we next tried out the stylus, and he was mesmorized by the flowing, dark lines left on the board as I wrote his name and drew shapes for him. Well done! Bravo!

Being familiar with the Magnadoodle version of this toy, I knew to pull the jaunty-looking ladybug to the right of the screen down to magically erase what we had drawn and start over.

Might I suggest some sort of warning label informing consumers that the spring-loaded erase feature on your quaint little toy makes a two TWO BILLION DECIBEL SOUND, much like a chopsaw, when one wants to erase the drawing they have done? This sound was rivaled only by the terror-filled screams that came out of my tiny son shortly after this noise began as the spotted ladybug made its hap, hap, happy freaking way up its track for what seemed like an eternity (perhaps a turtle would have been a more appropriate choice for this feature). I'm not sure what kind of scary-ass ladybugs you are familiar with, but I am quite sure the ones around here do not sound like the clutch exploding on a 1983 Toyota Supra traveling at 76 miles per hour.

I will be returning this product to the store this weekend and spending some quality time with my son doing a less upsetting activity -- perhaps attending a Megadeath concert or teaching him to use a jackhammer at a nearby construction site.

I'm looking forward to returning more of your splendid products soon!

Yours truly,

Deafened in Oregon

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...I'm not sure if it is post partum incontinence or not but I think I pee'd myself after reading your last post. That was hilarious (not the part about Erik crying) but your post in general.
I always get a kick out of Jaxson when he doesn't want to do something I tell him he says "what you saying momma"...I'm like, kid you can hear someone blow drying their hair ten miles away and you couldn't hear me tell you point blank to pick up your toys??!!?
Another awesome post Nancy. Have a great weekend.
susan

1:33 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Scary ass ladybugs?!?!?

Nance, you made my day!!

Love, Kerry

P.S. I am sorry for Erik though - maybe some nice play doh would be better.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

OMG I am laughing out loud with tears...I'll make sure santa does not bring that wacked out toy to our house this year!!!

I guess the good ole magna doodle is still the winner...All kids love that thing and it is quiet.LOLOLOLOL

Have a terrific weekend
Lot of Love, Lisa

2:06 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

OMG Nancy, You honestly are the funniest person I have ever known. I had to look up the toy for myself so I could see the exact replica of what you were referring to.

I will promptly take that toy off the Christmas wish list. Thanks for the heads up!

And thanks for the laughs. Be sure Erik never sees that dreadful toy again! Could I recommend something more like learning blocks; Fun, yet QUIET.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my daughter!
Love, Mom

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are to funny.
Sorry that Erik was upset though.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Girl, you really should think about doing some stand up. I spit my coffee after the clutch exploded! As always, you made my day!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

Made my day - I laughed so hard. (Not at Erik, poor kiddo, but at your wonderfully descriptive writing, Nance!)

We had a similar incident with Clare and the Fisher Price gear set. Set up the colorful gears, push the button, happy little music plays, then WHAM the gears start spinning with this incredibly loud noise. Clare cries every time! (And it's harder to protect her from it since her 3-year old brother is fascinated by it!)

5:24 PM  
Blogger TeaMouse said...

That was hilaroius - I popped over from This Eclectic Life!

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home