Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Axl Rose & Elmo

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Axl Rose & Elmo



I am feeling uncharacteristically restless today. I believe I am having a gargantuan hormonal surge, as I found myself ransacking our cupboards desperately looking for something in this house that is naughty to eat (we never have ANY junk food in this house). I ended up licking the salt off of Costco rice crackers and having an extra glass of wine because I couldn't think of anything else that sounded better without an extra trip to the store or to Dairy Queen (I am NOT pregnant, by the way). As I get older, I find that the hormonal roller coaster is becoming a bit much for me when it didn't used to phase me whatsoever. I will probably end up asking some sort of medical professional about this eventually. I sometimes feel like eating something as large as a roasted water buffalo or going on a tri-state shooting spree for no good reason. It is really no fun at all. Luckily, today this feeling only resulted in deciding to cut a couple extra inches off my hair. I am sick of dealing with it. It hasn't been this short since I was pregnant. I suppose I like it. It certainly feels better. I wasn't really even in the mood for the salon today, which is normally a big treat for me. It is quite a feat to find time to pamper myself outside the house during the week, so anything I choose to do is something I normally find quite enjoyable, but today felt like a huge waste of my time. I'm not really in a bad mood. I just feel kind of blah.

Hopefully Blogger will allow me to attach a photo or two of Erik at the park this weekend. This evening, Erik came out into the living room lugging his mammoth-sized stuffed dog and muttering "ruff ruff" before he slammed it into the ground and rolled around with it, growling and showcasing his wrestling skills for me and his dad. He has hit another developmental plateau and isn't doing anything hugely new but is doing great and is especially fun these days. Every day after breakfast I get out the Windex bottle to spritz the counters, and when he sees it, he exhales out his nose to make the same noise the bottle makes when I spray it (hifff hifff hifff hifff). So cute! Today I crawled into the playhouse in his room, where we have his electronic play table and Scooby Doo chair set up. There is a smiling rubber banana on the console of the table with a little red heart on it to push. Because his fine motor skills are shaky and he normally doesn't think to do it, he has not been using his index finger to point or push things as well as most kids, but today I reviewed the process with him, and he accomplished this feat repeatedly with a huge grin on his face. It obviously made him feel very proud of himself. I got to listen to "Banana!" and "Squishy banana!" and "Yellow banana!" four thousand times, and I laughed every flipping time. I couldn't help myself. I remember when I brought that little table home to get him to pull himself up to standing, and he was terrified of the sounds it made. I felt like I was torturing him. He has come a long way in just a few months, and I can't believe he will be two in just a few weeks. I plan on setting up his yearly photo studio visit sometime next month and will share photos with all of you.

I was up at the crack of dawn because of my furry friend Gracie Kitty this morning. I was thankful it was after 5 a.m., though, and not 3 a.m. I went on line and ordered some piano CDs for Erik. Brian and I went to a cowboy dinner show with our families when we were engaged five million years ago, and I really enjoyed the cheesy country piano music, so I ordered a CD of that variety, some ragtime (Joplin), and a piano tribute to Rascal Flatts. I spent an hour shopping on Amazon picking out just the right CDs for him. What led to this was that I was in Hallmark after book club Monday night and really liked the country piano music they had on while I was shopping. It reminded me a bit of old people but was completely soothing. The ladies at the counter didn't know what it was, but I figured it out by listening on line. I'll update you on his reaction to the music. So far, his preference is Sesame Street. He gets that from me. Sadly, the Sesame Street CDs and DVD I have were both purchased long before I even thought of having kids. I grew up on that show, and certain songs really make me misty, especially now that they are a link to my childhood and now have new meaning to me (see below). In contrast, I remember days during my college years running in the rain listening to AC/DC, Skid Row, Tesla, Dokken, and Slaughter on my brick-sized Walkman. For those of you who know me well, never fear -- my leather miniskirt and Aqua Net-scented hair may have disappeared, but those songs are appearing on my iPod again. However, I am MUCH more well-rounded in my old age, having been exposed to everything over the years. I simply love it all. I am hoping that my mother will still be in the symphony for a while yet so Erik can watch her perform. That is actually a moment I have been dreaming of. I am also really curious to see what Erik prefers musically as he grows older and if he loves it as much as I do. I have a feeling we will be swapping sound files on our computers someday. I am suspecting it will be part of the secret language we seem to have with each other.

That's all for now. I am hoping I perk up a little bit tomorrow. The cooler weather is supposed to roll in this week, and I am pumped about that.

It's Not Easy Bein' Green
Kermit the Frog


It's not that easy bein' green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red,
Or yellow or gold-
Or something much more colorful like that.

It's not easy bein' green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things.
And people tend to pass you over
'Cause you're not standing out
Like flashy sparkles in the water or stars in the sky.

But green's the color of Spring.
And green can be cool and friendly-like.
And green can be big like an ocean,
Or important like a mountain,
Or tall like a tree.

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why,
But why wonder, why wonder?
I am green and it'll do fine,
It's beautiful!
And I think it's what I want to be.


7 Comments:

Blogger Kati said...

I wish I could see you in your leather mini skirt and rocker-hair in those years :))))) I think everybody (who are in their 30's) had a rocker-period in their life (me, too, of course), I had a funny few minutes when I think back to that time :DDDDD
Glad to hear that Erik starts to use his index finger to drive his mom crazy with the bananas :))) Interesting thing, but Szabi uses his index fingers (both of them!) to push buttons since he was about 10 months old, but he can't point with them... :( He can point into my mouth, eyes and so on, but he can't point onto a picture or a dog. Crazy thing...
I'm so curious, too, what kind of music will Erik and Szabi like when they get older!!! I hope not folk-music :))))))) Hungarian folk-music is overwhelming, althoug I was a folk-music dancer when I was younger (much younger...before my rocker-period :)))))))
Love, Kati

5:56 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Great Now I am feeling like a Mr. Misty Float!!! I love DQ.

Trying to figure out what music they like best has become pretty fun for us. I think Tatum has a few favorites already. LOL She like Bob Marley, I guess she'll dig the music on our cruise.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Micah Marshall Photography said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:08 AM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

HEY NANCE!

I SOOOO WISH THAT I LIVED CLOSER TO YOU! I WOULD BRING ON OVER A COSTCO SIZE BAG OF SALTY CHIPS AND A SIX PACK, WE COULD SIT ON YOUR BIG OLD PORCH AND DO SOME GIRL TALK! WE COULD TALK ABOUT THE DAYS OF YOU BEING A ROCKER CHICK, WEARING A MINI SKIRT AND THE USE OF AQUA NET AND ME A PUNKER USING GELATIN IN MY HAIR! OH MY... THE STORIES WE COULD SHARE!! OR WE COULD JUST SWAP iPODS AND LISTEN TO TUNES AND WATCH OUR ANKLES SWELL AS WE INHALE ALL THEM SALTY CHIPS!! I LOVE YOU GIRL AND HOPE TODAY IS A BETTER DAY!!

GIVE MY SWEET NEPHEW A BIG HUG AND TELL HIM WE ARE ALL SO EXCITED TO SEE HIM REAL SOON!! WE ARE SO ANXIOUS TO SEE ALL THE GROWING AND GREAT CHANGES "IN SO MANY WAYS" HE IS DOING SINCE OUR LAST VISIT! GOOOOO ERIK...

BIG HUGS!!!
DAWNITA

LOVE THE PHOTOS!!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

What great pics of Erik! You must have your walls covered with him grinning at the camera.

I wonder too what music these kids will like... over here we listen to anything from Guns 'n Roses to Tony Orlando. I think Brady likes Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra... he's defintiely got his head turned that way when it's on.

3:22 PM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

ONE MORE THING...

I TRULY HOPE THAT ERIK CAN WATCH HIS GRAMMA PERFORM IN THE SYMPHONY! WHAT A PRECIOUS DAY THAT WILL BE, ESPECIALLY FOR ERIK AND YOUR MOM!

D

4:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

For the record, I have never had big hair. Every color hair, yes, just not big because it was always too short. I miss feeling invincible in combat boots or Doc Martins(:

Music is wonderfully universal, I love how we can all share that with our little WS rockers regardless of their developmental status. And it always makes us feel great on the inside. Yes, we can still rock out in our 30s, but thankfully we have better things to do like being moms to the best children in the world, and are no longer consumed with how we present ourselves to the world, big hair, leather pants, gucci bags all that, just not as important as it was...

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home