Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Important

Saturday, December 06, 2008

Important

At our mothers' support group this week, I found myself telling the other women how each of our children has a place in this world, even if we cannot see it at the present time. No matter how severe their disabilities or how short their time on this planet may be, they can and will change the world using the skills they have, one person at a time. I believe that you do not need to know how to add, drive a car, or even speak to make a difference. As I spoke, I realized that my words seemed to be forming more of a question than a statement and that I might be trying to reassure myself that Erik will be okay. What's important for me to remember is that Erik's path is going in a different direction than the neat, tidy one I imagined before the diagnosis came. He will likely not perform surgery, play professional football, walk on the moon, or even do his own taxes, but the things he does are indeed important in ways I don't necessarily understand, and they are straight from his heart. Erik just being Erik is enough to change the people around him forever. He has accomplished a lot in four short years, and I'm sure I don't see the half of it.

Maybe it's the dips on the hormonal roller coaster I seem to be on this week, but the following movie really touched me. I found it in my in box this morning waiting for me just when I needed it. It illustrates my hope for our kids beautifully and soothes my fears somewhat about my own child. As I know that many of you have the same hopes and fears as I do, I'll share it here.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

that was really great. Okay I am crying but only because it was the best thing I've watched in a long time. Thanks so much for sharing it!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very powerful... our world needs more Johnny's and the world needs to truly appreciate and embrace the Johnny's our world has been given!

Where is the tissue?!

Thank-you!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

What a timely bit of inspiration, Nancy. Just what I needed.

5:28 PM  
Blogger camille said...

That was a beautiful story, Nancy. Thanks for posting it. I definitely sobbed my eyes out.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gua said...
It's so simple, yet so profound. What do you suppose would happen if everyone decided to make today count?
Thanks for the wonderful thoughts!

Love, Mom

7:28 PM  
Blogger ~C~ said...

WOW! I believe, and this is just me, that people with the paths that might seem "different" are here to show us that we don't all have to follow the same drummer. That each of us is unique and amazing and valuable. He may not preform surgeries, you're right. But he might volunteer in a hospital and brighten some patient's day that otherwise would have been lonely. He might not be a pro sport player, but he may help teach a little kid to play soccer in the park one day and even though the outside world might overlook those small things. To the people he touches he's big and important. Its like the story of the man tossing the starfish back into the ocean. To the world he was just one person, but to one person he might just be the world.

God Bless, your son is lucky to have such a wonderful Mother.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder...

you know this feeling people get? that no matter how 'great' things are in their life, that they feel like "something is missing?" and they can't quite put their finger on it?

i wonder if you and other ws mothers feel it much less than anybody else.

food for thought.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Beautiful! Though this video could change the hardest of hearts in believing, I need no convincing. Johnny is making a difference and has begun a movement of love in his community.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home