Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: One of Those Days

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

One of Those Days

Another first: Erik locked me out of the house.

I stand on the front porch, completely embarassed because my girlfriend is leaving and has to be somewhere five minutes ago. She is on her cell phone and looks in my direction with a concerned look on her face. I smile sheepishly and peer through the side light window. I see Erik's face and talk slowly and loudly, begging him to open the door. He stares back, seemingly quite pleased with himself. He looks directly at me and smiles defiantly, enjoying the power he suddenly has. I finally decide to trick him by asking him if he wants to go outside, and I instantly hear the deadbolt slide, freeing the door. I jam my foot in the door like the world's rudest salesman and stomp inside the house, raising my voice and telling him that he is never to do that again. My fear for his safety has transformed to frustration and anger. He quickly bursts into tears, and his face goes red and scrunchy. I roll my eyes, hug him, and take him outside to play.

He rides the yellow tricycle with the little seat he could not balance himself on before for the very first time. And he rides it all the way around my Jeep in the driveway, even steering the dang thing.

I cheer loudly.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I just thought about that the other day (I smoke in the garage) and put a key outside just in case! I know it is coming, hahahahahaha. Good one, Erik.
xoxo
Amy

8:42 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

Abi loves to lock us out of the house. She equally loves to lock her siblings out...I always thought she just learned it from them, they do it to one another all the time.
Funny, I have asked her the same question about going outside to get her to unlock it too.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

LOL! glad you coaxed him out.. or yourself in. Whichever :)

12:43 PM  
Blogger ~C~ said...

you're very welcome. BJ had WS and my biological sister Holly has epilepsy, as well as Asbergers and several other things. I think God has a way of looking out for those who's bodies aren't as abled as the rest.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh they think they are so funny! Jai has done that to me too, good thinking with the "do you want to go outside?" question LOL i didnt think of that..

3:33 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hehehe.....It only took the one time and I made sure I had a hidden key outside!

3:00 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

You know I thought I had locked Noah in the house one day and I felt all the life drain out of me. What a panicky feeling.

Side note: Amber locked me out of the house once when she was 13 during a teenage tantrum and NO she would not have opened for sheer bribery. Threats were the only way to go.:)

4:45 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

:):) ahhhh... love that kid!

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erik's Auntie is giggling over this way!!! Tell Erik his cousin Brayden has locked his mommy out of the house as well...and the look that comes over their face when they know they have all the control... too funny...well, now it is! :)

Thanks for sharing and hip hip hooray for Erik and riding his bike! He is just to cute for words!!!

{{Big hugs}}

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home