Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Pissed Off E-Mail

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Pissed Off E-Mail

To an internet company who is advertising IQ tests for entertainment purposes.

To Whom it May Concern:

I just spotted your link on my Facebook page that read, "4 of your friends are RETARDED."

I am thankful most people are not parents of someone who is developmentally disabled. Not because they are not a complete joy to be around but because the road is difficult, and it does not help that the world makes it very clear that they do not fit in. One of the ways this is apparent is the rampant use of the word "retarded" (slang). In fact, I would consider this bordering on hate speech. It is not acceptable anymore to use this word (even the medical field is dropping it), and many of my friends on Facebook who see these links have children who would have been considered classically "retarded." We find this offensive. Period.

My son was born with a genetic birth defect, and I was told that he would be "retarded." It was like a punch in the stomach. Put yourself in my shoes. How would you feel if you found your child was the butt of jokes? No matter what your age, it is no longer appropriate to use this word. Period.

I challenge you to change your thinking and improve your public image by removing this word from your links that pop up on sites like Facebook. If you do, I will sing your praises to EVERYONE who will listen. My friends are already spreading the word. And we have very LOUD voices. Please forward this to the appropriate parties.

Very sincerely,

The mother of a developmentally disabled child who does not think the R word is funny

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Amen sister!!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

This is a wonderfully well put letter!! I am going to copy parts of it for the future. Good job, Nancy. SHould I quote you when I use it? Or is it ok to plagarize you my brilliant friend?
xoxo
Amy

6:59 AM  
Blogger Fryewerk said...

I would send a letter to Facebook, they are responsible as well and only exist because of their advertisers. To put some pressure on them as a consumer who uses their site might be helpful.

11:05 AM  
Blogger camille said...

You go girl!

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. How dare they! It's not okay to say 'fag' or anything racial, but it's just fine to ridicule the disabled. Sickening.

11:52 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

I also do not find the word very funny either. ~ jb///

12:01 PM  
Blogger KELLY DOMBROSKI said...

I totally agree!You should send it off to facebook!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I haven't seen them use the word since!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home