Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Off

Friday, June 13, 2008

Off

Erik has been off for the last couple days. His behavior consists of alternating moments of cuddling, high frequency whining, following me around the house pleading "no" for no reason whatsoever for hours at a time, crying at the drop of a hat, and a handful of his infamous tantrums/slapping/freaking out. By the end of yesterday, I was completely losing my mind. He asked me a thousand times where his father was but only seemed angry at him when he arrived. Besides me having to wipe his nose free of some clear discharge maybe once a day this week, likely because the air is laden with pollen, there are no symptoms of sickness. I sent him outside to play yesterday while I cleaned up around the garage and then took my place in my chaise lounge on the porch with some books. We both enjoyed hours of that. A neighbor came down the driveway with a 2-year-old grandchild, and we went out to chat with them. The girl was a seemingly gigantic, gorgeous child who was nearly as tall as Erik. She quietly offered him rocks she plucked from the ground. Erik was fascinated by her but soon decided she was frightening and climbed me like a koala bear scales a eucalyptus tree, acting as if the ground was molten lava and refusing to detach himself from my body. This little trick of his becomes much less adorable with each pound he gains.

Erik can say, "Where'd Daddy go?" and "Let's go read some books" now. He tried guacamole this week and thought it was the sweat of the devil, making one of his familiar smacky-lip fish faces. Between the Williams and the genes he received from me, his lips are quite generous and expressive, putting Mick Jagger's to shame. He has been making his stuffed animal, Stinky Dog, talk more and more in a deep, gravelly voice. When I can't seem to get Erik to do something, I ask Stinky if he would like to participate in whatever activity I am proposing. Stinky is often in a better mood and can talk Erik into it.

Tomorrow is the fundraiser for my friend's daughter with 22q13 syndrome. This means an afternoon of chair massages, live music, mini-pedicures, silent auction, and amazing food in a gorgeous location nestled in the woods. Men are not allowed unless they are waiting on us hand and foot. Perhaps I'll bring my camera.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Do you think he is harboring a minor bug and that is why he is off? Some days it is impossible to tell Avery is sick unless you get a DX from the Dr. telling you as much. I can usually tell by some signs like demanding more attn, whining, crying easily, etc... Since Erik is rarely sick, you might not b used to the signs(;
xoxo
Amy

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was FUN chatting with you on the phone today! I hope Erik being outside in the warm sun and playing in his pool pulled him out of his "off funk"! Give him a big hug and tell him his Auntie is coming soon! And if he is feeling sick and yucky... I pray that goes away real quick!!!

Have a wonderful wonderful time tomorrow and take photos and tell us all about it!!

Love ya girl!!!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I haven't really dealt with any of this yet, but do you think it could be the change in his routine now that school is over? Just a thought.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm so glad I saw the link for the hatchback shoes! Can't wait to try them! Thanks for posting the link!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home