Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Holding Pattern

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Holding Pattern

I am still not feeling right. My brain and body seem slow, and I feel as if I am moving underwater. I'm giving this another week to see if the hormones I am marinating in recede and leave me feeling better. Yesterday the skies were blue, and I felt slightly better. I spent some time in the yard with Erik, and he let me push him on the swing. This normally fails to thrill him anymore. He giggled and seemed delighted with it. I asked my neighbor to take me to see the tiny woman in Lucite heels at the nail salon to have my eyebrows waxed after my parents picked up Erik. You know, I was in labor with Erik for nine hours, but that pain pales in comparison to the Van Damage this evil little broad can inflict on me. After the first eye-watering rip sent pain signals directly to my brain (an entire three millimeters away), she giggled and muttered, "Sorry!" The numbness and stinging subsided within 30 minutes, however, and my new brows left me looking more attractive but slightly angry. Lisa took me to the pub down the street for a little video poker, which turned out to be fairly lucrative. After we cashed out, we took seats on stools and chatted with the lovely girls behind the bar. After a few minutes, I was forced to politely endure an older gentleman's harrowing tale of his trip to the ER to have a boil on his posterior lanced and the resultant diagnosis of a flesh-eating bacteria that left a deep, festering divot in his buttock that he talked about being temped to pack with sawdust. I suppose my life could be worse. When I got home, the healthy turkey burgers I constructed immediately fell to pieces on the barbecue into charred hash. After I muttered a string of unenthusiastic expletives, I heard Brian's truck in the driveway. I jogged out to tell him not to bother getting Erik out of his car seat. Instead, I jumped in, and we headed to our favorite family restaurant down the street. So much for healthy. Oh well. There is just nothing better than deep-fried cheese. Nothing.

------

NOTE: Today I discovered a new book that is available on Amazon that tells the true story of another family with a daughter who has WS. I am beyond excited about it. I immediately ordered one and plan on reading it from cover to cover. Click here for more information.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Nancy ~ I loved the story of the eye waxing! As for the turkey burgers... at least it had a cheesey ending! (better than) the guy in the bar's did! I hope that the new book will be one that gives you hours of pleasure! ~ jb///

4:06 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

mmmm... deep fried cheese...
The book looks like something i must put on my shelf. Thank you for drawing attention to it!
Take care and enjoy your new slightly evil eyebrows ;)

5:49 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

My book is now ordered and will be shipped soon. Can't wait to read this one. Love you girly!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Motherhood is all about peaks and valleys. I have bad, good, and best days! It's all part of the ride.

I cook my turkey burgers on the George Foreman grill, and everything else for that matter. I haven’t had one char and crumble on me yet.

Hope today will be a BEST day!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

"...attractive but slightly angry. "

I LOVE IT! I felt your pain sweetie! Now imagine those Brazilian waxes. OUUCCCHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I hope you're feeling better! Sometimes a little fried cheese goes a long way - comfort food and a good bottle of vino does the trick sometimes! :)

I'm back blogging again. I couldn't stay away for that long. I have obsessive thought patterns that need to be tended to.

Wishing you and your family lots of love!

++

3:35 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

I've been waxing so long, that I just about don't feel it anymore *LOL* I think maybe I'm a masochist *LOL* I'm just busting over the old man and his boil/cyst. Bless your heart! *hugs*

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home