Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Number One!

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Number One!

I tricked Erik into sitting on the toilet, explaining it was just easier for me to undress him for his bath that way. He was less than excited about sitting there and even said a little "no" under his breath, but he ultimately seemed to accept my explanation, letting me peel down his shorts and take off his shoes. I let him listen to the water run, and then it HAPPENED. He went! Horrified, he stopped midstream, but I cheered him on, and he finished emptying his bladder. I let him flush the toilet and made up a song for him on the spot, including "hoorays" and vigorous hand motions, which he found highly amusing and asked me to repeat.

I have never been so dang excited to see a man use the facilities. Seriously. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

I immediately called my parents. My mother answered, and after my description of what had happened had been relayed on the other end of the phone, I could hear my father whoop with joy in the background.

Beautiful.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lizard Eater said...

Yayyyy!

Isn't it amazing how watching one's child pee or poo can just give you such elation? Such a feeling that all is right with the world?

Hoping for many repeat performances.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

When I was pregnant with Michael, my first immediate concern was that I would be responsible for teaching this person to use the bathroom.Toilet train?? Egad! I don't know why it scared me. Michael had a blast peeing on the trees the summer he was toilet trained (do you have any trees around your house? I don't think so!) and he managed fine. It's funny how excited we get over these things!

Good job, Erik!!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

awesome!!!

4:41 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

AWESOME!! GO ERIC :)

3:19 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Wow! That is GREAT news!!

6:22 PM  
Blogger camille said...

WHOA NANCY!!! Big news! I just caught up on your blog...the peeing in the potty, the snake, wow, you've been busy. I'm so so proud of Erik! I hope this continues :) YAAAAY ERIK!!!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

WoooHooo, yeah Erik!!!!
That is so exciting. I was so thankful no one could see into our bathroom when Michaela finally went on the potty.....I would have been committed! We had a potty dance and song routine!

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home