Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Last Stop

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Last Stop

Today was Erik's last day of school before summer vacation. The bus wheezed as it pulled into the driveway, and when the doors swung open, I stepped inside to greet Erik and Jeff, the driver. Jeff informed me it had been an absolute pleasure driving Erik home from school during the year. I asked if we would see him next year, but he said the routes would likely change, so there was no guarantee he would be our driver again. He then quickly stood up and plucked his good luck charm, a rather discolored rubber frog with one leg threatening to spontaneously detach, from its perch above the windshield, and handed it to me to give to Erik. I shook his hand, and we exited the bus, taking our usual places in the driveway to watch him drive away. We waved at him for the last time until he finally disappeared down the road beyond a churning cloud of dust.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That was so sweet of him! I really hope he gets your route next year.

I have to confess...I had to google Tina Yothers. No idea. Celebrity Fit Club makes me feel guilty that I don't get off my butt and exercise. :)

When I was playing the Wii Fit, I kept imagining myself as the guy from the first Buns of Steel (I bought it at a yard sale in college). He would always jump around and go "lookin' good!" and you would reply "feeling good, richard!" in your best cheesy no-one-is-this-happy-unless-they're-on-pills type of voice.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

End of an era. Both exciting and sad at the same time. Good luck in your future travels Jeff!

8:31 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Bittersweet. What'd Erik think of the frog??

10:47 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I like that you marked this entry as "friendship." It is gfunny how we trust people we never would have before, and that trust develops into a relationship based on the common understanding of "keep my child safe & happy for me."
xoxo
Amy

8:12 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Happy Summer Erik! I hope you both get to enjoy some beautiful weather during your time off.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

He seemed like such a great bus driver - I hope it works out to where Erik will get to have him as the driver next year. He obviously thought very much of Erik to give him the good luck charm!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

*teary eyed* To give something to be remembered by?!

We gave Julia's science teachers at the community center thank you notes with $5 gift cards at the end of the session.

I don't think we're going back next year, as Julia is enrolled in private school.

There are people who touch our children's lives positively, and that brings us joy.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Awe, that was sweet of him to give Erik the frog. From your writing, it seems as though there are many people who just take an immediate liking to Erik. That's awesome!

Just wanted to stop by and see how you were. I'm back up and running in Bloggerville, which inevitably means I'll be pestering you a lot more often!

Hope you & your family are doing great!

{{hugs}}

12:07 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

It sounds like he had a really great bus driver, it's too bad he doesn't know if he'll be on that route in the fall. Kayla loved riding the bus and she had an awsome driver too...her and her husband both drove and said how much they enjoyed Kayla on the bus. If only it could always be that wonderful!

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home