Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Oh God

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Oh God

The church office finally called. The woman on the phone was the exact person I was trying avoid speaking with about my problems, as I am highly uncomfortable with her, but it would have been a teensy bit awkward telling her that, so I put on my big girl pants and let it go. They have found Erik an aide for church services. The woman from the office and the volunteer will be meeting with us tomorrow morning at 9 a.m.

This whole process seems awfully difficult and stressful, and I want to just tell them to forget it, but I finally have results and could assist another family like ours by simply not going away. I'm very good at not going away. A quitter I am not.

It's worth a shot, anyway.

Today did not go especially well in general. Erik officially hates school and tells me he is not going the entire drive there. When we arrived, the street was so slick that at one point Erik was moving without actually moving his feet. He looked up at me, confused. By the time we made it to the front of the school, we had a panel of judges (teachers, aides, and bus drivers) critiquing our skating techniques. Erik apparently soaked his jeans around his diaper somehow at school, as he came home in his spare ones with urine-soaked britches in a plastic baggie in his backpack. I haven't begun toilet training, as he tells me no every time I bring it up, like everything else I suggest. We warred over lunch, naptime, not pounding on my computer keyboard, etc. I was a punching bag once again. He did sleep long enough that I got my work done so I won't have to work this evening. My head is pounding.

It might be a good idea to send me good vibes, say a prayer, or chant something appropriate in my honor tomorrow. I really would like to avoid making a complete ass of myself, smacking someone with the Old Testament, or, heaven forbid, crying in front of these women. I really, really don't want to cry.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I will definitely say a prayer for you guys. As far as wetting his pants after 3 girls I have come to the conclusion that little boys are just big pissing machines. I usually have to change Noah's in the middle of the night. He also loves to stand in front of the tub before his bath and pea all over the floor.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Ok, chanting, sending good vibes, praying and even lighting candles for you here

7:06 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Well.... this clip is highly inappropriate before church, however it will definitely let you relax and remember that everything ALWAYS works out in the end... seriously!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnVJZkDuVBM

Besides, I think you need to laugh anyway :)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hey Nance, If this is something you really want, then do it. I know you've had time to think since the last church episode, and it may seem that your feelings are a bit different. Do what is in YOUR heart. Lots of Love and yeah, I'll send some good vibes out your way. If I send them now, they may get there in time for your meeting! :)

3:44 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

You're very good at not going away...love that. We've got that in common.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

You have my hugs and loving support. I am really glad you are blogging about this, and glad I came across your blog.

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you girl!! And I so get the whole not wanting to CRY thing! Remember when we were in that Nike outlet store soon after Erik's diagnosis and you ran into your friend? You handled yourself so well... you will today!

You always are in my prayers, this morning though I will be praying for you during your meeting!

And... I will even light a candle for you like your mom amd you have for me!

Sending BIG hugs!
Auntie Dee-ta

7:23 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Good for you for being persistent and getting what you want. I cracked up about the idea of hitting someone with the Old Testament...I have such a visual on that...quite an "Ally McBeal" type moment going on in my head. I will chant, pray and send positive energy your way.
Good Luck!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope it all worked out for you!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Can someone tell me when the fun starts?
Hugs and slobbery smack-a-roos.
Amy

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JUST CHECKING IN....

LOVE YOU....

1:01 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm glad they found an aide and I hope this works out for everyone! Prayers that all goes well with the meeting and for strength for you to get through it!

3:38 PM  
Blogger camille said...

Thinking of and praying for you guys. I so hope that this works out for you and Erik.

Your comment about smacking someone with the Old Testament had me cracking up out loud. You're hilarious :)

And thanks for not being a quitter, you're setting a fabulous example for the rest of us. We love you!!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Fleming said...

Prayers said, and luck wished. I must agree with Julie, that boys are just big pissing machines. If you feel like you're going to cry, picture this - Mason leaned over in the tub at just the wrong moment, and Corey peed right on his head. Now he giggles about it endlessly, "Mommy! I peed on Mason's head - hee hee hee!" Yeah.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Is there such a thing as a potty play date?! Serious, my daughter is a "NO" child as well and I'm not prepared to pay out the wazoo for daycare so she'll do a yellow or a brown by herself. Awww, now I have to post this!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home