Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Miscellaneous

Monday, January 28, 2008

Miscellaneous

We attended a birthday party for our friends' 1-year-old girl yesterday, and Erik did very well in a very crowded, noisy setting. In fact, I felt relaxed when we left and could honestly report he had a great time. He even smiled and greeted the other children. The only time I felt like screaming was when an older boy insisted on staring at Erik as I held him in my lap and fed him during the party. Now that I think about it, I'm sure Erik is beginning to look a little strange being spoon fed while we are in a noisy setting. He will not eat in this type of environment otherwise, and I take the opportunity to cram as much food in him as possible while he is distracted! He dove into the quiche and fruit salad! He does just fine feeding himself at home, although he is maddeningly picky about what he puts in his mouth.

There are eight inches of snow on the ground now. Finally. It is supposed to snow all week, and I am hoping the school district keeps things open for Erik.

Church Update: I received two voice mails from the deacon trying to assist me over the last week. The first explained that she had not received an answer back from the person she thought could help us, and the second was that she was unable to arrange anything at this point but would continue to try. I am getting the feeling that the high school girl declined to watch Erik during Sunday school. This is exactly why I feel like a problem that needs to be addressed. I spoke with Brian about accompanying Erik to Sunday school myself, but I predict I would leave church more depressed and more stressed out than ever. I have no desire to sit in that type of environment trying to be a soothing, calming presence when I am need soothing and calming (and perhaps some Jack Daniels) myself. I'm sure that once Erik attends more typical classrooms and events, I'll be more acclimated to it all, but right now it's an overwhelming, depressing challenge I am not ready to try. I am happy being immersed in just special ed for now. One step at a time. So far, this is not worth the trouble. We can teach Erik what we think is important in the comfort of our own home.

Our big screen television went on the fritz, and my best friend's husband, who is an electronics expert with his own shop, came to do surgery on it today while I played with his children. The parts we need will take a couple of weeks to arrive, so my BBC America afternoons are on hold. To entertain myself, I retrieved my copy of the recipe book called the Sneaky Chef in the hopes I can hide more vegetables in Erik's diet. I spent the morning whirling blueberries and spinach in my food processor, incorporating them into brownies (also whole wheat flour and wheat germ). I felt like dry heaving while I stirred melted chocolate and butter into the spinach mixture, but the house smells of nothing but chocolate now as they cool on a wire rack, looking like any innocent batch of brownies. I attempted the peanut butter and jelly muffins made with yam and carrot puree this weekend. Erik ate them but was less than excited about them, making the amount of work that went into them questionable. We'll see how these go over.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Lots going on! ...It must have been hard to try to get Erik to eat while he was distracted by the noisy environment... As far as the school not taking him, I have to read more about this - if you wrote about it. Wasn't aware that they declined him. Sorry to hear that. Another frustrating knot.

Then the flat screen? Hope you had a warranty- but a friend who knows electronics is good enough! Hope everything pans out well.

{{hugs}}

1:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Spinach and Chocolate Brownies...
mmmm...??? The sneaky chef is great - my sister is using that approach for my very picky niece :)

Im glad Eric did so well at the party :) Thats a huge step!
For now as you said you can teach Eric all the important stuff at home - when he is a little older both of you will be more ready to try again. All in time.
xxoo

1:47 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Keep me updated on the cookbook - I was thinking about trying the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook by Jessica Stenfield....(I think that's the name and author) to sneak some good foods in on Payton but wasn't sure if it'd be worth all the extra work. She'd much rather have cereal for every meal.
I'm glad Erik did okay at the birthday party.....and I think you said it best - you can teach Erik what you believe is important in the comfort of your own home. I do, however, wish the church would realize your needs and try to solve the issue at hand.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I too am thinking of trying one of those books. The only veggies Grace will eat are peas and corn and that is not without a fight.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

that's great to hear how well Erik did at the bday party!

Sorry to hear about the continuing problem with the Sunday school though, I can just imagine your frustration.

8:40 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Nancy ~ My wife told me that she saw the lady who wrote that book on the Oprah TV Show. (at least it sounds like the same woman). A lady who was just trying to get her kids to eat some veggies by camouflaging them! Sounds like a great idea to me, even if it's an effort. Good things in life OFTEN are! ~ jb///

8:53 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Someday, a few years down the road you will probably be like me and wonder if there even was a time that he was so picky! (I hope) Don't get me wrong! Caleb is still slightly picky, and won't eat a lot of things with wierd textures, but what he does eat... he eats a ton of! He is more open to the idea of "try it, you might like it", and he usually does. And if he doesn't like it, he will choke it down anyway so he can get up from the table, and then gag the whole way out of the room! :)

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! ERIK WENT TO A BIRTHDAY PARTY AND HAD FUN!!! WOO-HOO! SEE, WE ARE CHEERING!!!!

THANKS FOR SHARING THE SNOW! IT SURE IS SNOWING HERE RIGHT NOW!!

AND... THANKS FOR THE CHURCH UPDATE!

MISS YA GIRL!
DEE-TA

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help but thinking about your brother and his eating habits... he wore out food as it was put in his mouth, came out of his mouth, was put in his mouth. (I know the half life of peas intimately!) I remember saying to him as he sat alone in a dimly lit dining room, "If you go aaaack one more time I'll--- (I don't remember what I was going to do). It took until he met Su and bought a rice cooker. Dad was sure JA was in love. Why else would he eat rice?! But I know how it is when you're in the thick of things. Erik is healthy because of your extra efforts. You have to do what you need to do! Good job!
Love, Mom

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LAUGHING MY BUTT OFF AFTER READING YOUR MOM'S COMMENT... SORRY JA!! BUT IT MADE ME LAUGH BECAUSE MY MOM HAD THE SAME ISSUES WITH MY YOUNGEST SISTER... SHE WOULD BE SITTING IN A VERY DIM LIT DINING-ROOM BEING TOLD TO EAT WHAT EVER IT WAS... WELL, THE REST OF THE GANG... YES, MYSELF THE RING LEADER AND SIBLINGS WOULD TAKE TURNS SNEAKING INTO THE DININGROOM AND EAT AWAY AT HER DINNER! AND YES... MY MOM KNOWS ABOUT IT ALL NOW BUT NOT TIL WE WERE ALL OUT OF THE HOUSE! NOT SURE WHY I SHARED THIS... LOL!!!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm off to buy that cookbook today!

3:42 AM  
Blogger Lizard Eater said...

I have the Sneaky Chef book, but haven't made any yet. Let me know how recipes turn out!

I'm so sorry things haven't worked out with church yet. (cranky face) You've given me a lot to think about.

My denomination has something called "Church of the Larger Fellowship" which has resources for those who aren't close enough to attend a UU church, to help with their home worship. Maybe your denomination has something like it?

siiigh ... but I really wish you could have the experience of worshipping with others, every Sunday, in community.

In your spare time, (grin), if you were to write some sort of a post like "Guide to Churches Wanting to Help Parents of WS Children" or even something more general, maybe we could get lay and professional religious leaders thinking about this ...

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home