Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Validation

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Validation

The girl sitting beside me
tells her story
of her toddling boy
with the slanted face
and the holes in his heart.

Oxygen fills his nose nightly
while he sleeps,
and an alarm rings
when the sighing stops.

The woman across from me
prayed for me last week
because I was too quiet
and my face was too pale.
She says she had that look once.

This girl sitting beside me
explains she gave life to her son,
she will care for her son,
and she will bury him when all is done.

There are reassurances murmured
about advances in medicine
and how miracles will happen;
but we turn to each other,
and our eyes finally meet.

I see it there.

The truth is in her grasp,
and she is searching for peace
with what will come,
all the while patiently nodding
polite maybes back at them all.

Her stoic face is calm and dry,
and as the topic changes,
I am the only one to tell her
that this is so tough.

Then I am quiet and pale again.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

It's true. You say what you can, but you know in your heart how it is. Something we deal with everyday. You are an incredible writer, Nancy.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hello...where were you when I was in HS struggling to write poems...They are beautiful you are very gifted :)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

tomgirlYou nailed it, Nancy. I know those looks and the halfhearted belief in miracles. But no way could I ever put those things into words like you do. Remember the book you want to write? I think you may already have started it. Someday we will be standing in line at your book-signing and whispering, "I knew her before she was famous". Keep writing...we need you:)

Love, Kim

4:44 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

What the heck? Girl, you are amazing me more and more. This was an amazing piece. You just blow me away how you can tell a story that tugs at my heart in such a beautiful way. I just love everything about you.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

I am so proud, that you can put your feelings into words! You are a fantastic writer, Nancy! Every time I read your lines there are tears in my eyes, to read about the feelings that I have, too.
Love you, Nancy!

4:08 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Your feelings are real and raw. Through your eloquent writing, you take us deeper into the reality of a world that is imperfect.

Thank you again for sharing your journey of courage to face this situation head on.

"courage does not always roar.
sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'i will try again tomorrow.'"
mary anne radmacher)

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words are always so beautiful. You have once again, moved me to tears. LOVE YOU!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

You words are inspiring and beautiful. You are incredibly gifted. I am proud to know you.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always admired your courage in telling it like it is. But along with that courage you have the sensitivity to know when, where, and how to say what the rest of us may know but can't put into words.
I don't know how or why we got to this place, but you are handling it beautifully. I am in awe.

Love, Mom

3:27 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

You always tell the truth...it's what I love about you the most.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

What a wonderful poem, and like others, I am moved to tears.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

And she's a great poet too. You never cease to amaze me.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

WOW is all that I can come up with to say....
I wish I had your gift with words!

Noel

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home