Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Day From Hades

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Day From Hades



For once in my life I have someone who needs me
Someone I've needed so long
For once, unafraid, I can go where life leads me
And somehow I know I'll be strong

-- "For Once In My Life" (Stevie Wonder)

Today is Erik's IFSP meeting. It is going to be a wild day. Erik goes to group therapy at 8:30. I will drop him off and camp out at my parents' house on that side of town until it's time to pick him up at 10:00, bring him back to my parents' house to try to get him to sleep for an hour or so, and then bring him back to the facility at 12:30 for the IFSP. Hopefully, he will be exhausted and nap again when we get home so I can cram work into my day somewhere. I see a giant glass of cheap red wine in my future.

My stomach kind of feels like a fish bowl with a handful of guppies swirling around in it today. I know basically what to expect at the meeting. Like I said before, I am not fond of panels of any sort. Frankly, they make me feel defensive and a little like I am a contestant on American Idol. We will most undoubtedly discuss Erik's walking and orthotics. I can't help but think of that Simpsons episode where Bart was forced to wear those awful, thick glasses, some sort of salve for his scalp that made his hair greasy and flat, and platform orthopedic shoes. He left the doctor's office looking like a nerdy, palsied Buddy Holly. Terrible, I know. I think glasses are next for Erik, because without my glasses or contacts, I slam into as many walls as he does, and he has probably at least close to half of my chromosomes/genes, which means he probably inherited my eyes. I was in a very expensive antique store this weekend with narrow aisles and couldn't help but think it was a good thing Erik wasn't with me on that particular outing. At least Erik's hair is fluffy now. In the old days, with his cradle cap and eczema, I actually poured olive oil on his head to loosen up the flakes on his scalp. He smelled a little like a bread stick at the Olive Garden but didn't seem to mind.

I am anxious because I want the absolute best for my son and know this is the right thing to be doing with him. The people we will meet with today seem to have a genuine desire to help the kids they work with. Hopefully, they can point us in the right direction and give us the tools to help Erik succeed. I am discouraged about his balance and walking and hope they can help with those things.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Sounds like a very long, tiring, nerve wracking day. I don't envy you.

If you are going to have to endure it, I hope you will come away armed with new knowledge that will be helpful. :-)

Quick! Catch! I'm throwing good thoughts your way.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

I will be thinking about you throughout the day. I too hate and dread those meetings. Erik will be great and so will you.

Good luck! And YES, please give me a call this weekend. Use my cell number however...we have disconnected the phone. Never use it! HA!

LOVE LOVE LOVE

7:35 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

IFSP! Yipee! Just kidding, my last IFSP was a room filled with 6 women discussing Avery, I couldn't even focus! And in Indiana they come to your house, so the cats were involved too, and a freaked out little girl named Avery, and a mama too dizzy to speak. I can't wait to hear what is in store for Erik over the next year: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

By this time it is over, so I hope it went well and you all are focussed on the same goals. He has accomplished so much already this summer it seems - don't forget they will all get to where they're going, some just take a little longer.

It's funny, though, about your mention of how you can't see either: the statements about WS include the kids will probably need glasses and be smaller that others. My whole family is blind already and my husband's father is like 4' 11" - he probably would have been like that anyway! :)

Love - K

6:16 PM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

ANOTHER GREAT PHOTO OF ERIK!! I THINK HE SHOULD BECOME A BABY MODEL?! JUST AN IDEA... HE IS JUST SO DARN CUTE!!!

I HAVE BEEN THINKING AND PRAYING FOR YOU ALL AND HOPE THAT ALL WENT WELL!! IF ANYTHING... ERIK CHARMED THEM WITH HIS GREAT PERSONALITY AND LOOKS!! :)

BIG HUGS TO YOU ALL!!!

5:39 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Isn't it great to be needed!!! I have a Olive Garden Baby too HA

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home