Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Down

Monday, June 01, 2009

Down

I'm feeling discouraged today. Parks and rec called today and informed me that the art class I wanted was full but that there was one available at the same time as Erik's vacation Bible school. I am on a waiting list for another class but do not expect to get in. If I do, I won't have the support of my fellow special needs mother, which scares me more than a little bit. I don't think I'm ready for braving our first tiny attempt at mainstreaming on my own. Yeah, it's just a stupid art class. But it's our first stupid art class with typical children outside the comfort of our special education bubble, and I know myself well enough to know how I will feel afterwards. It's a really big deal.

I should be thankful I had the guts to do something new and leave it at that. Tomorrow I plan on being thankful. Today I just feel discouraged.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I feel for you, Nancy. I don't do well in the 'typical kids' zone either. I get very emotional, withdrawn and afterwards quite depressed. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

I have a hard time wiht reaching out of my protective bubble. Good luck in your journey and hope that tomorrow looks brighter!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I've always just done stuff like that with Ari...I have often left in tears. But the more I did it the better I got at it and so did she. I never explained to the other parents that anything was different about her (usually I would explain to the teachers but this last dance class I said nothing). I am not saying it's easy I am just saying if you do it he might surprise you and you might surprise yourself. If you don't you'll never know. Trust me I KNOW IT SUCKS! If it's awful you can quit. And the most important thing I learned is that no one is looking at your kid they are too busy looking at their own. And every single mom has had "that kid" with her if they are typical or not...

3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home