Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: The Cicada

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Cicada

It's strange to see the feelings you have experienced written down by someone else. To see your story told by another family. Many of the details may be different, but the women who have shared their stories with the world make me realize that parents like me have gone through almost exactly the same thing before me, and there are parents to be out there who are about to go through hell after me. We are all singing verses of the same song at different times, like singing rounds. It's horrifying and validating at the same time.

This is a beautifully written account of another story like mine. It is a heart-wrenching piece written by Jenny B. called The Cicada. Many of us seem to mourn the loss of the person we thought our babies would become, but I have learned that we also mourn the loss of who we used to be pre-diagnosis. That's exactly what I have been doing for the past couple of years.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

nancy, of course I don't mind that you linked. I had forgotten that you had to wait for a diagnosis as well. It was a nightmare, wasn't it? I hope you have a wonderful and peaceful week. xoxo!

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gua said..

Thank you for that. I feel bouyed by so many people in this journey. Her story was so familiar....

Love, Mom

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home