Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Three Years

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Three Years

I wrote the very first entry of my blog on Mother's Day of 2006. Happy 3rd birthday, blog o' mine. I have never loved and hated something so much at the same time. Of course, this excludes a little something called Williams syndrome.

WITH TIME

With time
you will learn to shoulder dense burdens
so incredibly heavy they once made your heart strain
and your lips mutter groans of agony
that the universe didn't seem to hear.

With time
what seemed unbearable will become mundane,
and the narrow tunnels for vision
will swell to allow the rest of the world
to come into focus at last,
although you will never see things the same.

With time
even your nightmares will fade,
yielding the power they once had to
twist you into a sweaty knot in bed
and jolt you from sleep, wrapped up in damp sheets.

With time
you will appreciate the sweet, buzzing numbness--
the anesthesia you will fight with all your might at first
but learn to succomb to in order to feel less
and attempt to endure more.

And you will endure more.

With time
you will learn there is no other option.

With time
you will simply learn to prevail.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Happy 3rd blogiversary to you :) I'm glad you're still writing. I don't get a chance to comment as much anymore, but I still enjoy reading your writings! I also started blogging 3 yrs ago this past March :)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Dawn Low said...

I am glad you continue to write regularly to your blog. You are able to express yourself so well and put into words what so many of us in the WS community feel. It is blogs like yours that get me through the tough days. Happy blogiversary! Keep it up!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Nancy,

The poem was wonderful and just what I needed to read those words this morning.

Thank you,
Lisa

8:17 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

The poem is really wonderful. I am glad that you are still blogging. I love to read what you write!!

5:52 AM  
Blogger camille said...

Nance, That is beautifully written. Wow. You have such a gift. If you write that book, that poem has to go in there. It's amazing.

11:18 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Nancy ~ Happy 3rd. Blogaversary! With time a lucky little boy's mom grows to be the person she was always MEANT to be! ~ jb///

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

You have shared so much of your journey that I know you're making a difference to every mom who follows or finds you here in the future.

Keep being raw and real, and true to the authentic you. It's what kept me around! ;)

By the way, beautiful poem—I envision it in a book.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home