Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Summer Firsts

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Summer Firsts

The church called today to personally invite Erik to participate in vacation Bible school in July. They have apparently already made arrangements for Marla, Erik's aide during church services, to be by his side throughout each session. I didn't know what to say to this, really, and the conversation was riddled with awkward, silent holes. I almost cried after I hung up the phone but held it together. I am just so incredibly thankful.

I also was invited to join a friend and her son (also with a disability) to participate in a parks and recreation art class for 2 to 4-year-olds. I was previously thinking about trying the music exploration class, but the more I read the description, the more I think art might be a better (quieter) way to go this year. Erik's hearing is still very sensitive and terms like "family music jam" seem a bit off-putting. We'll do it next year.

It's settled, then -- Jesus and art.

I have butterflies in my stomach, as this will be the first time we have done anything like this. I remember participating in classes like these as a child, and I wouldn't trade the memories for anything. Now it's Erik's turn.

I'm so scared. But I'm so ready.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger camille said...

YAY! That's amazing. What an awesome phone call to get. For once you don't have to set up accommodations! Jesus and art, I love it!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Dawnita said...

I LOVE it!!! Just LOVE it!!! Jesus & art!!! What an awesome summer Erik is going to have and what wonderful memories you both will be making and perhaps making some new friendships!!! I LOVE it!!! Summer is going to rock!!!

BIG Hugs~
Dawnita

6:13 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am sure Erick will love it all! Ari's hearing is also very very bad (sensitive) but we've always done music classes...for some reason loud music doesn't bother her...she just loves the music too much to let it I guess...go figure....I'm just saying if you can do a drop in -in the middle of a music class to investigate you might find it's o.k. But for now I think art and Jesus sounds like a fantastic way to spend the summer....

6:52 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I love it. He will have a blast.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

congratulations for making it here. :)

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home