Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: "Fun" Visit to the Dentist #1

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"Fun" Visit to the Dentist #1

We went to the dentist yesterday for his first special needs "fun" visit to attempt to take the trauma out of the obviously upsetting experience for Erik. We arrived before any other patients and met Erik's hygienist. We were able to get him to sit in the chair briefly and showed him the equipment used to clean teeth once again. The hygienist spent a lot of time polishing my hand with her tools to demonstrate the process to Erik. We spent a total of approximately 20 minutes there, and she was able to get Erik's jaws to open just enough to brush one of Erik's teeth with berry-flavored fluoride. We were provided a toothbrush and a toy with wheels before I took Erik back out to the waiting room to allow him to spin the brightly-colored wheels on the wooden play structure for a few minutes. We go back yet again in two more weeks.

I guess we'll get his teeth clean after all. One at a time.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

The dentist is very traumatic here. Lots of screaming.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

and eventually you will look back and this will all be a distant memory. :)

6:10 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

So far, this is what they've done with Payton. This past time they were able to get her to open her mouth really wide and let the hygenist and dentist look. That's as far as they got - but shockingly, no crying. We're hoping next time she will let them polish. And I'm actually pretty positive about it and think she'll let them do it!
Glad Erik seemed to do okay and atleast got one tooth polished :)

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

thanks for the healthy tips.

I like very much your blog.This is nice collection and references information.

3:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

thanks for the healthy tips.

I like very much your blog.This is nice collection and references information.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

I am so glad that you found someone willing to take the time. Sounds like it is working!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so nice they take the time. We have a dentist appointment coming up which I am sick over. She just had a EEG to rule out seizures on Thurs and I had to restrain her for over 30 mins., which I think is going to cause some problems for our upcoming cardiac visit on Monday and we have to get this ECHO done as it's been a year now and then to the dentist on Tues and the behavior dr on Wed. Oh, I so wish I lived nearby cause I would be knocking at your door with a bottle of wine in hand! LOL I think I just brought on a panic attack while posting my comment, uncontrollable laughter can't be good. Gee, my point was I wish we could have made not to mention thought of pre dentist trips.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home