Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: I'm Climbing

Sunday, March 15, 2009

I'm Climbing

We took Erik to the park yesterday. I could not believe my eyes. He did this over and over again by himself for the very first time. I can't believe he is playing around other children now.



Friday was very difficult for me, but everybody around me seemed extra nice, even without knowing I was having a hard day. Things that happened:

* After I dropped Erik off at school, I received a text message from my neighbor thanking me for working out with her during the week. She said I inspired her, that she loved me, and that she wished she had joined me sooner. I have to admit, I have never laughed so hard while exercising. The day we sat on exercise balls to work out was the day I almost ruptured my spleen laughing.

* After that text message, my cell phone rang. It was my friend with ALS. He successfully completed a stationary bike ride at the physical therapy office to qualify for an ALS study in Texas after two previous attempts fraught with exhaustion and gross error on the part of the medical staff. He was elated, and his spirits were finally up.

* The phone rang when I got home, and it was Erik's teacher. She was very excited and wanted to share a story with me. They had a little white and tan rabbit visit the classroom. I have witnessed the way animals react to Erik, and I smiled, knowing what was coming. Each child was allowed to hold the bunny. She said it was quite twitchy and nervous, but as soon as it got to Erik's lap, it became incredibly calm, even with Erik touching it exactly like the other children had. She was amazed and told me it seemed like the rabbit knew he was special. He then bent down and whispered, "I love you, too" to the creature. She said it was one of the sweetest things she had ever seen and that they all love my child so much.

* When the school bus came to drop Erik off, his backpack was MIA. I told the driver that it was probably still at school and not to worry. Twenty minutes later, the bus came rocketing back up my driveway. She had apparently found it and delivered it to my door.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gua says....
Beautiful! Did I see him wave at the kid as he came up the stairs? That's huge!
And I join his applause at the bottom!

Love, Mom

9:13 AM  
Blogger camille said...

THAT VIDEO IS AMAZING!!!!!! I remember the one you posted one time a year or two ago. Look how far he's come! That's fantastic!!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

That was wonderful...it brought tears of joy to my eyes!!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

That was awesome. I can't wait for the day Noah can come down a big slide like that without falling backwards. Erik brings me such hope.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for posting that video. Gives me hope, since that seems like light years away for Miss Emerson. Erik is just amazing.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

Erik has come so far. I am so glad that you posted this video, it makes me smile. Look at all he has accomplished!!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Loved it! Daven's teachers have said that he has gone down the slide by himself a couple of times now. I have yet to see it myself...but apparently he has. YAY!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Yay, Erik! It makes me happy just to watch that.

As the saying goes: when it rains, it pours. Isn't it nice when it pours goodness rather than nastiness? Hooray for a good day!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh I bet that just did your heart some good!

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home