Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Mi Sonador

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mi Sonador



Brian walked me through the front door of the church last weekend instead of sneaking through the side door to find Marla, Erik's aide. Brian carried Erik in his arms past the long rope connected to the happily clanging bell above our heads. Our pastor saw us coming, and his eyes met mine for an almost uncomfortable amount of time. I could tell he was going to say something to me but wasn't finding the words in time. He took my hand and thanked me for my letter, telling me that he was in need of a little inspiration. He admitted to me that it was nice to have something to occasionally remind him why he is doing the job that he does. I really didn't know what to say in return except thanks. I then smiled and placed the palm of my hand on the scratchy, brown tweed of his suit jacket as I passed by. Later on in the service, he showed this video to the congregation. It's amazing to me what is possible and frightening how easy it is to put limits on ourselves and our children. It's even easier to just give up and quit dreaming.

Erik danced into hippotherapy like Mikhail Baryshnikov this week. He was up on his toes all the way from the Jeep to waiting area in the barn. His therapist studied him with her head cocked quizzically and then asked me if he was going through a growth spurt. That doesn't begin to describe how he seems to have shot up lately. I attempted to measure him at home the other day, but the process frightened him to death. He loves to snack, and he seems to be eating constantly these days. I believe that his Achilles tendons just aren't keeping up with the length of his legs lately. This used to scare me, but I have noticed it happens from time to time. All we can do is keep him stretched out and hope for an outcome that doesn't require surgery. Sometimes when he wakes up from his nap I work on his legs before he is conscious enough to escape. I have made a promise to myself that I will cram his orthotics on his legs more diligently this week in order to keep his feet flat.

His home blood pressure cuff arrived this week, but I have not been brave enough to attempt to take a reading without a bag of chocolate candy nearby to bribe him. His blood work to check his hormones and kidney function has been sent, and I am waiting for the results. He is savvy enough about the medical field to understand what happens at the laboratory. I thought he was clueless as he calmly played with the toys in the waiting room, but when they called his name, he burst into tears and pleaded, "I don't want to!" I prepared to hold him down in the chair in the back room and assured the phlebotomists he doesn't hold a grudge. At least not against them.

Right now I am sitting at my desk at this ungodly hour with an amused smile playing over my face. Using the Internet, I just successfully identified the word Erik said when I asked if he wanted a cracker and placed a whole wheat Ritz in his hand yesterday.

After he studied it, he seemed slightly annoyed and hissed, "Galleta."

I see that's Spanish for hardtack. Or cracker.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

I love that part of the movie, it is one of my favortie movies because of the message it sends.
I hope that things are going better for you.I am glad that you were able to write that letter and send it.
I will be thinking about you and hoping that everything comes out okay with Erik's BP.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I am in awe of parents I see, doing a good job. Your blog and this film clip remind me of that. Thanks.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

OK-I'm cracking up at your son for nowing the spanish word for 'cracker'. How amazing is that?!! I swear, I love Erik to death :)
I can't get over how quickly Erik grows and how he gets so tight so fast. That's something we have not dealt with on Payton. I couldn't imagine trying to get her to do stretches....I bet Erik fights that like crazy.
Always thinking of you all,
Tara

8:31 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

what a fantastic post...I loved the video clip ...that movie is fantastic...

Loving the spanish

xo

3:58 PM  
Blogger Adrianne said...

I found you through Leesa's blog. Just stopping by. What a great blog.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

I believed your letter to the pastor would be right on time, and it was!

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home