Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Hummus Among Us

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Hummus Among Us

For nearly four years now Erik's sensory processing issues (hyperacusis) have required that I take any minor kitchen appliance that makes a substantial amount of noise to the garage or behind two doors in the master bathroom to use. Since I started Weight Watchers over a year ago, any neighbor of ours who drives past our house to work has been treated to the sight of me sitting in my bathrobe on the porch after a sweaty workout. I plug the food processor into the outlet there to grind up my hummus for my mid morning snack. It hasn't been all bad. I sit there and enjoy the sunshine to the horrific screeching of the machine and watch the surrounding wildlife startle and scamper into the bushes. There are times, though, I wish I could just do it inside. I think, boy, that sure would be handy. And the deer would be happier.

I am proud to say that I made hummus in the comfort of my own kitchen for the very first time. Erik clapped his palms over his ears to protect himself but didn't cry or even really seem to mind. At least much. His curiosity dominated any discomfort he was feeling. Now if I could get the kid to eat some of it with me...

Goooo, Erik!



HUMMUS

1 (15.5-oz) can chickpeas
4 tsp tahini (or smooth natural peanut butter)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp salt

Drain and rinse chickpeas, reserving 1/3 cup of the canned chickpea liquid; set aside.

In a food processor or blender, combine the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, lemon rind, garlic, cumin, and salt. With the processor running, gradually add the reserved chickpea liquid through the feed tube and process until smooth.

Per serving (1/4 cup): 63 cal, 2 g fat, 2 g fiber = 1 point

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One can actually make homemade hummus? I gotcha huh? I looove hummus but I totally cheat and buy it at Fred Meyer in their deli department... so yummy!!!

Goooooo Erik! And look at that sweet boy in them yummy jammies... you just want to pick him up and snuggle with him!!! I am such a sucker for boys in jams!

Give Erik a BIG Auntie hug and tell him we will all be seeing him real soon!

Have a great week girl!!!
Dawnita~

4:06 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Erik - I am SOOO PROUD of you!!!! Fantastic, Nancy. One of the funniest things about their sensitive hearing is it seems whatever hurts they ears they are so obsessed with. As soon as we moved in our new house Payton had to know exactly where Koen's nebulizer was. Every now and then she walks in the laundry room and says "yep, there it is!". I love the pic - amazing how they all really do the same things!!!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Mmmmm, hummus. That is WONDERFUL news about the food processing actually happening in the kitchen these days. Avery is fascinated with ours, as well as the mixer, the drill, the vacuum, and the lawn mower.
xoxo
Amy

6:12 AM  
Blogger Tes said...

Love hummus with red bell pepper to scoop.Lila loves it too. I however cheat and use the store bought. I have gotten in the habit of boiling a chicken, shredding the meat and freezing into individual packets, its a great time saver and portion control. WW rocks!
P.S. love the jammies

7:30 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Way to go Erik!!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I have never heard of it.... Now I will have to look for it :)
Anything with a motor!

3:48 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

hooray for hummus....I loved your post about sitting on the porch with the food processor...I could totally see myself doing that!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Your kitchen is so CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home