Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Make It Stop

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Make It Stop

CLOUD: Erik threw a series of rage-infused tantrums lasting a record-breaking two and one-half hours last night. He tried to break my things, flapped his hands in the air, hit us, and pushed his food off the table.

SILVER LINING: My boy is consistent and has stamina!

In fact, his behavior was so volatile that we put him in his room to avoid a volley of tiny but stinging bitch slaps and to calm him down. When it was time for Erik to go to bed a short time later, we quickly formulated a plan. I called it our own version of "shock and awe." Brian took one door to his room, and I took the other. We burst through each door at the same time, singing ridiculous songs, blowing bubbles, and providing more entertainment than Barnum and Bailey ever dreamed possible. Erik looked very confused, which cracked me up, but we had him in bed wearing pajamas with his teeth brushed before he knew what had happened. He was asleep shortly thereafter, so I am assuming exhaustion played a large role in his behavior.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Nancy, you are so right!! Boy they have stamina! I told my mom that I hate it when Payton has her meltdowns, because they last for hours....but that it almost makes it good that she has that personality because I know she will fight fight fight for things she wants. In this world - I guess that's a good quality!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Well, at least you guys have a united front.:) Yeah exhaustion is usually the problem here. If it helps you Grace's do seem to get shorter with age. Hang in there. Have a glass of wine on me.

9:45 AM  
Blogger camille said...

Oh my word, you crack me up. I can only imagine what that looked like. Oh to be a fly on Erik's wall...
I love that even in the midst of the 2 hours plus tantrum, you still have a silver lining. I love that!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy, is Erik's tantrum behavior something that is common in other kids with WS? Or is it just a kid thing?

10:46 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Anon -- I have had people tell me it's completely normal for kids to do these things, but they haven't actually witnssed Erik doing it, and I know it's mostly related to WS and the easy frustration many kids with this experience. I'm sure there are people with WS who don't frustrate so easily. Everybody is different, but there seems to be an underlying flavor that isn't "typical." I read recently somewhere that tantrums over 20 minutes are not the typical type.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Nancy you amaze me. You are so smart, so patient, and just so darn funny.
xoxo
Amy

10:20 AM  
Blogger Life's a peach said...

Keep going lady. You have been on my favourites for ages now, you and Erik both.

3:04 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Y'all are so amazing. What a great, creative and positive way to handle that.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Nancy,

Thanks for the post. I will have to get that book. It sounds great. I try to post articles like that when I find them. I just think they are really inspirational.

Julie

7:14 PM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

I am sorry about the massive tantrum, but your "shock and awe" routine was pure genius (and pretty funny!).

4:19 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love how you guys handled that! And glad it worked. I love it when Caleb looks at us like we are the ones who are crazy. It just cracks me up to no end. I know that look you saw in Eriks eyes. Too funny :)))

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home