Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Sweet Talk

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sweet Talk

Last week Erik and I went to the grocery store for a few things. From his perch atop the shopping cart, he worked the crowd at the store, chatting to the ladies in a very different manner than he did the gentlemen. When a man failed to turn his head our direction, he went through his usual routine of replicating the noises an all-terrain vehicle would make, "vroooming" and practically begging for attention. I went about my business plucking items from the displays and shelves, politely nodding and smiling at the new friends we made, feeling another remnant of my shyness shrivel up and fall away, as it tends to do on any public outing with Erik. Remembering how horrified this used to make me feel makes me smile in itself.

In the baking aisle I bent down to grab a package of walnuts. As I did this, I heard Erik greet someone new who had ventured down the same aisle.

"Hi, sweetheart!"

I straightened up and tossed the bag into the cart, turning my face up to see an attractive woman about my age with a surprised, amused expression on her face.

I grinned at her and said, "You'll have to excuse my son. He's a bit forward sometimes."

She giggled as if she had just met Brad Pitt, and we continued on our way, leaving nothing but new friends in our wake.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Oh my! Wait till he starts whistling AT them and calling them "hey baby", and "hot-mama" and saying "WHOA"! Hopefully he will just stick to sweetheart. :)

6:56 AM  
Blogger camille said...

I LOVE IT! That is oh-so sweet. What a cutie patootie you have :)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I love this!!! Erik just makes me smile. I wish so badly I could meet him in person.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

How cute. Noah has started something new with his forwardness, fake crying. If he says "hi" to someone more than once and they ignore him he fake cries and covers his face with his hands. Talk about embarrassing.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Love it!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

Would you cut him some slack. ;) Erik is a people person.

PS You've been tagged!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh, he's too cute.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Yep, he's gonna be a heart breaker! He had me at "vroooooooom". :)

Enjoy your weekend, Nance!!!

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home