Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: California Dreamin'

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

California Dreamin'

It has been snowing all day today. I got my buns on the treadmill early this morning thinking Erik would have school. However, as I watched the news over the din of my ancient exercise equipment, it was pretty clear the two-hour delay would mean we would have a snow day today. When I grew up here, it would take about two feet of snow to cause even a two-hour delay. Pansies.

Erik and I were simply bored today. I sometimes feel frustrated that finding things to do with him in any traditional sense is difficult, and the entire day ahead of us alone tends to intimidate me sometimes. The Magnadoodle provided 15 minutes of entertainment, as he asked me to draw different variations of construction equipment. He did attempt to draw a bicycle upon my own request. We read books and played with the excavator his father gave him for Christmas, although he made me push the buttons to operate it (it's loud). He managed to give me a fat lip as he accidentally swung a toy at me later in the day. As I felt the rigid plastic crush my already generous bottom lip into the sharp ridge of my lower teeth, I wondered if I would ever feel like the normal little kid-things would not shove me directly over the edge of this ridiculous emotional cliff of mine I have been perched on for the past three years. We had one small, unimpressive battle over what would be served for lunch, resulting in one time out, but other than that, the acting out was kept at a minimum today. He has finally determined that I am no longer bluffing when I name a consequence for his next behavior, and, therefore, he is much more in control of himself, although he seems as if he wants to explode at times. I have made it clear to him that being frustrated and angry is perfectly acceptable and have tried to validate any emotions he is feeling but have also made it quite clear that punching, kicking, and hitting one's own mother is something one should avoid.

The snow is still streaking past my office window. This is not the kind of snow I sigh softly upon seeing while listening to Burl Ives holiday songs but the kind that pelts the world sideways, jamming in my satellite dish, forming a small glacier, and interrupting my afternoon of porking out on BBC America shows and merlot tasting. This may be the first day I make the trek out in my winter gear over the tundra to chip at it. Winter has arrived.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY GIRL! THANKS FOR SHARING ALL THE SNOW THAT HAS BEEN DUMPING HARD HERE TODAY AND TONIGHT!!! I THINK HERE IT HAS TO SNOW A GOOD FIVE FEET DEEP BEFORE THEY WILL EVEN CLEAR A ROAD!!!!! THANK GOODNESS FOR A FORD TRUCK WITH FOUR WHEEL DRIVE! LOL I THINK TOMORROW MIGHT BE A "LATE ARRIVAL" DAY.... SO I GUESS THAT MEANS A.M. KINDERGARTENERS... WOO-HOO... NO SCHOOL!!! SO I GUESS I AM TAKING THE BOYS TO PLAY IN THE SNOW AND MAKE A SNOW MAN... SO WISH YOU GUYS LIVED CLOSER, WE COULD MAKE SNOW ANGELS AND SNOWMEN AND DRINK HOT CHOCOLATE!!!

BIG FROSTY HUGS COMING YOUR WAY!!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Wow, you are impressive! I would have love to join your play had I been there...happy mid of week!

2:20 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I often feel like I am boring Brady to death, trying to find things to do with him. When we are out with friends or shopping, I know he is watching all the people and enjoying himself. But at home there's only so much we can do without him getting preoccupied with the flashing lights. etc of toys. I am going through his Xmas gifts today to return a few. What's the point??

3:29 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Bluck! I want spring!!!!
I would never survive in Oregon!
don't go all Jack Nicholson on us, Okay?

6:21 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Nancy, your comment about being home alone with Erik can sometimes intimidate you.....I know what you mean. I always get embarassed to admit it, but I am just now feeling capable of being home alone with Payton. Did I stay home with her by myself? Yes, but it was tough facing the day alone. It's just 'different'...hard to keep them interested, hard to get them to play. And, the behavior was (and still is sometimes) scary. You made me feel better by making that statement....glad I'm not so alone in that feeling.
Hope you don't lose your satellite!!! I don't know what I'd do without some of my afternoon shows :)

6:26 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

You're doin' fine! It seems that consequences for our kid’s wrong reactions are appropriate at this age, and I find that time outs work. Good job also on acknowledging when he's upset/mad. I do that too!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

As a mother of 4, 2 of whom have very strong personalities, I can tell you that you are doing the right thing in the discipline department. You have to be consistent and don't back down. That is the only thing that has worked here. They have to know you mean what you say. Good luck.

10:06 AM  
Blogger camille said...

I'm guessing that snow will be coming our way. We had one last day of balmy weather. The upper 50s in January, I'll take it! But today's the end of it all and I'm guessing your winter arrival will soon be our winter arrival. Sigh, I wish we could skip this part and go straight to spring. Warm weather and sunshine does wonders for my soul. So does a margarita. HA!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ahh your good! I wish i had been a little more consistent with my dicipline methods in the beginning, Would have saved alot of work later on!
Sorry to hear about your lip.
I havnt had much time at home 'alone' with Jaiden at least one other child is ever present, the others are quite good at amusing themselves with toys while i do the mundane household tasks jai tends to follow me about, he loves when i do the washing, we have a front loader so he watches the clothes spin and runs and tells me all the different noises the machine makes during its cycle, not so educational but keeps him amused!
Oh another thing for warmer weather, we have Jai water the vegie garden - he gets soaked but would spend hours doing it if you would let him.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Lizard Eater said...

Warm and muggy here.

Hmm. Maybe if we click our heels together at exactly the same time and say, "I hate this weather!" we can change places via Freaky Friday.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home