Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Edgy

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Edgy



I am in a relatively sour humor today. I feel as if I could snap at any given moment, and I detest that feeling. It's poison in my blood. I have a heavy, strange feeling of impending doom. I feel a lot like Michael Douglas in the movie Falling Down, right before he exits his car and abandons it on the freeway in the festering traffic jam on his way to get a hot breakfast and a new semi-automatic weapon. I think it's a combination of stress, being trapped indoors, and fighting the cold Brian has had for a week. Of course, I haven't received the full-blown version. I have been taking my vitamins and working out daily, so my body is just really busy being exhausted and fighting it. It would almost be better to just get it over with. Luckily, you can't really tell I feel like soggy cat food in the photo above because sick eyes disappear right into black and white.

Erik has a doctor's appointment tomorrow. We see doctors so infrequently that I think my tolerance for them has actually lessened. I hate the waiting rooms filled with cutesy crap that Erik doesn't even notice, the cheap furniture teeming with billions of microbes, and the chance the nurse who assists won't know what the hell she is doing, wielding a needle as if she is Luke Skywalker with a light saber, merrily twisting it around in my child's tender flesh. Oh yes. Hopefully by tomorrow I will feel a bit more like Ms. Merry Sunshine and less like Jack the Ripper. Now that I think about it, most of my mood probably stems from knowing I will have to sit in that waiting room. If that doesn't make me feel like going on a shooting spree, nothing does. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate being immersed in that environment against my will. I hate it. Erik tries to mingle with other kids, and they end up staring at him or scaring him to death with an unexpected noise. The last time we went to this particular office, a very sweet little boy said hello a little too loudly, and Erik began screaming and ran to me. God. I hate it.

We don't have an orthopedist, but my gut is telling me we probably should. I will ask about this tomorrow and perhaps contact the children's hospital in Portland or a Williams clinic across the galaxy for suggestions. As Erik is the only child in town with WS, I don't expect to get even a single answer I need tomorrow, but I feel like I need to at least figure out where to go from here to ensure he is growing properly. I'll run it up the flagpole and see what happens.

Erik is enjoying the pool at physical therapy this afternoon. I'm glad he got out of the house today, as I feel I am boring him to death. At therapy when his PT swims him over to the thermometer in the water and asks him what it says, he confidently and consistently announces the temperature is 92 degrees. Apparently that was what the thing said months ago, and Erik never forgot. It's very Rain Man and makes us laugh.

Today Erik came up to me out of the blue and loudly announced, "I have a question." I have no clue why or where he picked up this phrase. When I looked up from what I was doing and let out a snort, he began to laugh, too. I love my little Random Man.

I was invited to a girlfriend's house for margaritas, chicken enchiladas, and an afternoon watching ridiculous movies and sitting in the hot tub Saturday. I'm so in. It's when I'm edgy that I usually let my worries go and have the most fun. Re-reading what I wrote just now, I think I am getting a tad bit crotchety and need to remove the two-by-four from my posterior.

Jose Cuervo, here I come, baby.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger camille said...

My internet is being oh-so weird and isn't showing your newest posts for some reason. Don't worry it's not you, it's any blog I go to. Can we say irritating? YES we can. I hear you about the doctor's offices. I hate going there too, avoid it at all costs. In fact, there are times, like now that I feel like slightly neglectful mother because yes my child has had some bloody boogies (for the past few weeks) but I really don't want to go in there and have them stick some kind of probe up his nostril. That is disaster in the making and I don't want to deal with it. So yeah, I hear you.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Okay Nance! I said DON'T go Jack Nicholson on us!
Okay, jokes aside, I know what you mean. I hate, hate, HATE waiting rooms as well! I haven't been to one for myself in....well a long time. There comes a time when ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
That afternoon at your friends sounds great! Maybe I could survive in Oregon. ?

4:09 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I too hate ALLLLLL childrens doctor waiting rooms. Why? They have toys that you know are not sanitized regularly and they never have working batteries in them. Also my son is way to friendly and now that his walking his borderline obnoxious. Yeah it is cute now but in a few years not so much. I am so jealous. I would love some margarita time.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I have this image in my head of Eric in a Red lycra muscle suit and big red cape with a big R on it. Hands on Hips determind look on face announcing that he is (insert booming shakey voice over man voice here )"RANDOM MAN".

I hate waiting rooms, hell i hate waiting altogether.
I hope you are feeling a bit more "Ms. Merry Sunshine" tomorrow and get some direction from the Dr.
Enjoy the afternoon with your friends, and eat something bad and have a few magheritas for me :)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Take me with you! I want a night out!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I love your photo. It is very sweet and simple.

Right now I am feeling overwhelmed and that I should go clean something to help alleviate it. But I can't move my ass to save me.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

When the blues come around there's nothing like being with fun friends!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I wish I looked as fabulous as you when feeling like soggy cat food, blech. I love Drs offices, it is so fun to see what nasty new ailment the kids pick up there when you go in for a simple check-up.
XOXO
Amy

11:37 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

I would love to be in the hot tub with drinks!! Can I come too??

Hope that your appointment turns out okay and you pick up no new germs!!

Noel

2:14 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

I wish we were neighbors.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love the pic of you and do not worry hose is always in my freezer....LOL I am thinking I may pic up some diet 7-up that sounded good....but wait I think there is baileys in my coffee now LOL....You are doing a great Job and Eric is awesome...I am going to try and give you a call today, now that I am all caught up I have way to may comments just feel like chating :) Love you Happy Sunday...OH yeah is it just me or are all dr.'s offices so flipping HOT, I am always a sweaty mess by the time I leave.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home