Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Wunnerful Wunnerful

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wunnerful Wunnerful




Random Thought of the Day: I think anything by Mannheim Steamroller is hopelessly silly (unless there is some sort of cool laser light show involved).

I sang with Erik this week during our daily cuddle time on the couch after his nap, and when we finished a song, he said, "Wonderful." It was very Lawrence Welk (without the accent).

I'm considering having the fasteners on Erik's leg braces redone. The Velcro is not sticking well anymore. At this point, I can't imagine he will be out of them anytime soon. If we leave them off for even one day, he goes right back up on his toes. I usually leave him out of them at home and let him run unfettered, but when we are out in public and he is unsteady, they work wonders, as he falls less. His left toe continues to swing in, especially when he is out and about.

Erik has an appointment with Dr. Mike, my favorite dentist, today. Brian took him last time while I attended a parent meeting, and he said it was brutal but quick. We are going in every six months, and so far he has not needed the lacquer to protect his teeth. I don't plan on having work today, and we will go to my folks' house afterwards, where I will enjoy a glass of wine and try to relax.

My holiday menu planning is complete, and I am looking forward to having everyone here this year, especially my little brother and his wife. I am baking a turkey, and my mother is bringing over a ham. Brian has twinkling white lights up on the house.

A WS family from out of town e-mailed me and told me they will be here to celebrate the New Year. They invited us over to the house they rented at a nearby resort for a play date. I have said it before, and I'll say it again. There is just nothing quite like being around another family wearing our shoes. I can relax and actually think about WS less. What consumes me a lot of the time simply loses its power. When I'm with another WS family, I am able to feel like a NORMAL mother, and I don't worry about what anybody else is thinking about me or my kid. I savor every moment of it.

I am missing the other families I know and hope to see them more and create more memories in 2008!

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger LZ Blogger said...

I think that this picture is Wunnerful Wunnerful! And by the way... so are you! ~ jb///

8:04 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I LOVE the picture. What a doll. I'm so glad you are going to be able to have a playdate with another ws family - you are so right....it makes things seem "normal" for a while.
Enjoy your glass of wine!!!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Love, love, love the picture. We also have a wonderful dentist who is very quick. Glad you can get together with another family. Hope you have a wonderful holiday. You deserve it. Can I just ask why Erik needs the brace? Just trying to educate myself more.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

That's great that you can spend the New Year's with another WS family. It is so nice to just chill with them - I love when Kerry and I can get together.

What a fantabulous Christmas photo! Erik has got the greatest smile - it's infectious!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

First of all, the photo is absolutely priceless!

I think it's very important for you to surround yourself (or just be around some people) that have the same experience that you and your family have. I'm glad you met nice people who know what you go through.

I hope you and your family enjoy the holidays and have a wonderful new year! I'll be around before that I'm sure. Sorry I've been MIA lately-----I moved, it was EXHAUSTING! (sigh)

HUGS!!!

1:35 PM  
Blogger camille said...

That picture is fantastic!! He looks sooo chipper in it!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Awesome picture! Erik looks so grown up. By the way, Lawrence Welk is Ava's favorite program, next to the Doodlebops.

A one and a two and...wunnerful!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

I love that picture! I am so glad you get to spend time with another WS family. You are right. I love other Special Needs mommies. They get it and it sometimes feels even more comfortable than my own family.

Enjoy your holiday!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

LOVE that picture -absolutely adorable! How neat that another family was able to get in touch with you and arrange a play date while they are in town!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

LOVE the picture! You nailed it - I do feel more "normal" when we're with other WS kids, how ironic. We're so fortunate to have Clare nearby, and now Cole. SO wished you lived down the street so we could play :)

3:45 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

GREAT picture!!!!
Yes, I totally agree about being with other WS families. Especially for me after all this time of not knowing. It is just awesome!
Hope you and your family have a nice relaxing Christmas. Have fun with your extended family.
Merry Christmas!!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

I love the picture.

Noel

7:49 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I just love Erik's beautiful smile. I can almost hear him laugh as I look at the picture.Have a wonderful holiday!!!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I LOVE THE PICTURE....that is just the best. He looks like he is loving it

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home