Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Five Things I am Not

Monday, December 17, 2007

Five Things I am Not

My life is ever so perfect
My life has been a bed of roses
And you might think I'm crazy
So what if I am
My head is full of good things
Enough for everyone


-- "Beautiful" The Go Gos

The following meme is courtesy of my friend Kathi. I feel like a lot of us in Willy World are looking for a fun distraction to ease us through the emotional chaos of the holiday season. Voila! Thanks, Kathi!

FIVE THINGS I AM NOT.

1. Petite. I am nearly 5'10" (over 6' in heels) and weigh a lot more than one would think (I hope). My shoe size is between 9 and 10 after having Erik. I also have man-hands, as my best friends' rings will only fit on my little fingers. One day when I was shopping at Macy's, a saleslady told me that since she could see me over the rack of clothes I was browsing, she was quite certain I was in the wrong section. Sure enough, I was in petites.

2. A socialite. I am slowly but surely learning to appreciate a good party or casual banter with strangers at the store. I actually told someone I didn't know the other day that I loved her shoes, and the adorable, surprised reaction I got made me smile all day. It's actually a lot of fun talking to people. I only wish that I was more confident in this area. Because of Erik, I am getting there.

3. Judgmental. At least, I try not to be. If we were all the same, the world would be one big yawn to me. I have to admit I don't generally mix well with people who are judgmental or mean. Is that being judgmental in itself? Uh oh. Yes, these are the things I lose sleep over.

4. A risk taker. I used to live as if I were invincible, but in my 30s I discovered the joy of stability. Maybe my 40s will bring a more adventurous spirit and the desire to leap off a bridge wearing bungee cords.

5. Graceful (see number one). I am probably the most likely of all of my friends to fall, sever a limb, or run into walls. On the day I got married, I injured myself very badly several times by playfully leaping in my wedding dress onto unfamiliar furniture inside our honeymoon suite. I ended up going to Mexico the next day covered in green and black bruises, looking as if Brian had beaten the dickens out of me or I had been in the center of a mosh pit.

So there you have it. Play along if you would like!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger kathi said...

I hate it when people take my stuff and make it so much more interesting than mine, lol. You and I share a lack of being social and graceful. I can get injured in a padded room, don't ask me how I know this. ;)

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that "happy" is not on this list. :-)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I am not very graceful either as you can see from my last post. Glad to get to know you better.

11:51 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Nancy ~ I have so many things I could say about this post... but I'll try to keep it fewer than 1,000 so that you'll stay awake (MAYBE)! Mrs. LZ is almost as tall as you are. I love the fact that you told someone (you didn't even know) that you loved her shoes. Sounds like a breakthrough here? But the nicest part of it is how nice it made HER feel. Graceful... ha ha! Mrs. LZ had to drive me to the E.R. on Friday night in a snowstorm. I fell while trying to get the ice off of my driveway. I ended up with a few stitches in my right elbow and worst of all; I couldn’t use my right arm all weekend. She had to give me a bath like a baby and shampoo my hair in the kitchen sink. I was still able to shave with my left-hand though. To make matters worse, when I went back to the Dr. for a check-up (on the stitches) he called me a klutz (much to the pleasure of Mrs. LZ) who had made that very comment when we were in the E.R. on Friday night. Ah... pain and then insults... I feel like Rodney Dangerfield!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

I too share many of these with you. I am not tall only 5 6' but am more tomboy than girly girl anyday! I too am an accident waiting to happen!

Noel

2:15 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

I have man hands too! And it's not fair--my mom has beautiful, graceful fingers with long manicured nails. I have square blocks hanging off my wrists. Twenty years ago it really bothered me; these days I am just grateful I have hands that work.

By the way...I love you, too!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AS I READ YOUR LIST OF WHAT YOU ARE NOT... IT MADE ME THINK OF WHAT YOU ARE... PERHAPS NOT PETITE BUT HEY... WELCOME TO THE TALL GIRLS CLUB... PERHAPS YOU DO NOT THINK OF YOURSELF AS A SOCIALITE BUT I ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME WITH YOU AND WE ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD LAUGH...YOU ARE NEVER JUDGEMENTAL AND I THINK THAT IS WHY WE "MIX" SO WELL... I HEAR THE STORIES OF YOU BEING "INVINCIBLE" BUT I DO STILL SEE A RISK TAKER IN YOU, HERE AND THERE! PERHAPS YOU ARE NOW A "GROWN -UP" RISK TAKER...AND I LAUGHED WHEN YOU MENTIONED GRACE, I SO DO NOT SEE GRACE IN YOU GIRL, PERHAPS IT IS A TALL/TOMGIRL THING WE HAVE GOING ON?!

ANYHOO, I LOVE YOU FOR THE THINGS YOU ARE AND THE THINGS YOU ARE NOT...

11:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We wish you all the beauty, cherished traditions, and joys of this lovely holiday season. May you be surrounded with the things you hold dear and enjoy most, now, and throughtout 2008.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from both of us - and remember that broken cookies aren't fattening!
Warm regards
Ann & Ava Jewel xo

5:13 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

LOL Nancy!
Graceful? The people at work cringe when i use scissors... need i say more?

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home