Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: A Look Inside My iPod

Saturday, December 08, 2007

A Look Inside My iPod

I can't sleep and I lay and I think
The night is hot and black as ink
Oh God, I need a drink of cool cool rain


-- "Love, Reign O'er Me" by The Who

Insomnia. Gotta love it. Hey, I got three hours of Zs. Here's another look at what's new on my iPod.

"Buddy Holly" by Weezer. A cheerful little song that goes horribly wrong at the end. I'm not entirely sure what the lyrics mean, but I'm pretty sure they both die a dreadful, violent death. Anywho, it rocks.

"Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane. My new favorite song. Instead of a traditional love song, as it was probably intended, I think about the parents out there like me when I hear it. I'll meet y'all at our special spot near the river.

"It's All Been Done" by Barenaked Ladies. My favorite song from this band. A humorous song that explains why we have deja vu from time to time.

"Scooby Dooby Doo." I don't know who did this song, but it sounds like the original. Erik's nickname has always been "Skooby," so I thought it was a must have. My husband asked if I actually paid $1.99 for this (I did). When I play it in the car and it ends, Erik yells, "AGAIN!" Worth every penny.

"Lose Yourself" by Eminem. I'm not normally a huge Eminem fan and certainly don't agree with his views most of the time, but his words are smart, angry, dark poetry. This song is great for working out, but most of the time I blast it in the car when I'm alone and feeling discouraged. It makes me feel as if I can do anything. One of my favorite songs of all time.

"Bye Bye Blackbird" by Joe Cocker. I think I originally heard this song in that Meg Ryan movie where she has a bit of a drinking problem. I blasted this song as I moved carloads of my belongings from my ghetto apartment to the very first house of my own in the pouring rain. If I could choose a song for my funeral, this would be it. Morbid, yes, but it's that good. Makes me feel like I can fly.

"Love, Reign O'er Me" by Pearl Jam . I feel like a bit of a traitor downloading this one instead of the original, but I love it. When we were in Idaho, we saw Reign Over Me, a wonderful movie about successfully surviving the most horrific loss imaginable. The song sounds like a prayer being screamed directly from the heart to the sky. It's in the movie.

"I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly. Classic. I fell in love with this one when I followed the story of Mattie Stepanek, the little boy with dysautonomic mitochondrial myopathy. It was one of his favorite songs before he passed away in 2004. He knew he would fly away, and he did.

"Click Click Boom" by Saliva. Hard stuff. Heavy metal meets rap. Great song for lifting weights or a shift working at a gentlemen's club.

"In the Meantime" by Space Hog. Strange, ominous little song with bite.

"Lean Like a Cholo" by Down. Yeah, I'm officially the whitest girl on the planet, but I can't help but love this song. Reminds me of the old days when we would go to the nasty little club in the next town and dance until the point of exhaustion, soaked in sweat and rude splashes from passing trays loaded with plastic cups of 25-cent beer. Elbows up...side to side...

UPDATE: It's 6:35 a.m. now. I slept for an hour or so on the couch before Erik started crying. I went into his room and crawled into bed with him until he fell back asleep. He was mumbling, "Fire trucks go woo woo woo woo." I never thought I would hate fire trucks, but I do. I feel like throwing eggs at them as they pass.

It's amazing what just an extra hour of sleep will do. Yawn. Tired, but functioning. That's a good thing.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

Click, click boom...I didn't know anyone else who liked that song!!! Funny. I love your list of songs and the movie Reign over me...hard to watch but I thought a very good movie.

Noel

9:07 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Glad to hear you caught just a little bit of much needed sleep!

3:53 PM  
Blogger All moments remembered said...

Here I sit at my computer since 2:00 am and it is now 4:30 am. I to have this insomnia thing happening. My mind is racing with fun thoughts I have going on for my store site. Then there is that laundry that needs to be caught up. Glad the kids sleep sound and the swishing of laundry getting cleaned does not wake them up. I unloaded the dish washer just so tomorrow when I am dragging it is one less thing I have to do. I have been insane busy but think of you and Erik often!!! Just stopping by to say HI and send a hug!!

4:40 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Gee Nance, you sleep as much as me!
Insomnia.. Speaking of, That is a song i like working out to and can also relate to - im not usually a 'dance music' kinda girl.
Then im not really a workin out kinda girl either!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hey, just a thought...
Jaiden used to be scared of sirens too until he started watching a little kids tv show called 'fireman Sam' now he still obsesses about them but instead of freaking out he runs to the window to try and see it and excitedly says "fireman Sam is coming!"
- they have sirens in the show but if you kept the volume right down it might help de-sensitize Eric slowly?

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UUUUUUUGH!!! YOU WERE HERE AND I DID NOT HAVE YOU DOWNLOAD YOUR iPOD TUNES TO MINE??? NEXT VISIT!

LOVE YA AND MISS YA TONS!

AND THE CROWD GOES WILD... IT IS SNOWING HERE AGAIN!!!!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Katie -- He is fine with them on video with the sound on full blast. We try not to let him watch too much of the video because he will obsess more. They tend to be drawn toward things that freak them out. I wish there was an answer, but I think time is my greatest ally.

Dee-Ta -- When I check the weather here, I always see what's going on there. We seem to be having the same kind of weather, but I wish it would just snow 2 feet. Enough with the dustings. Miss you.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home