Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: First Sick Day

Thursday, December 13, 2007

First Sick Day

Erik is rarely ill. When he does get a cold, he has it for what seems like five minutes and moves on while it knocks me over onto the couch for a week. His type of severe gastroesophageal reflux has been known to cause horrible ear infections, but his only battle with a bilateral ear infection was bravely fought off without the use of antibiotics. We all had the stomach flu twice, and Erik was cheerful through most of it while I was face down on the bathroom tile for three days.

On the flip side, because Erik is never sick, I fret when he is. It's shocking to me to see his body turning on him. I'm guessing we picked up a virus from school this week. He filled one leg of his pajamas yesterday morning with what seemed like a bucket of poop. He was cheerful, despite his plight, and was simply thrilled to have an extra bath as I tried to figure out how to begin to begin the mop up process. I bet Billy Mays of OxyClean fame has never had the need to tackle the task of removing a bucketful of diarrhea from the leg of footie PJs before. Let's see that on an infomercial! Erik got sick this way a couple more times throughout the day in mercifully smaller amounts, but I still thought everything was okay. I took him to pool therapy, where he did well, and there were no embarrassing accidents.

When I picked Erik up, his therapist asked if I would be willing to allow him demonstrate pool therapy for the facility's open house in February. She explained that Erik is just wonderful in terms of letting her do whatever to him for therapy and that she would love to be in the pool with him. As she asked for my permission, she kissed the side of his wet head several times. Free therapy and fun in the pool for Erik. Hmmm. Twist my arm. This is my baby's first modeling gig!

I fixed Malt O Meal, Erik's favorite food that is easy on the stomach, for his dinner. He ate a couple bites at a time but seemed off. At 1 a.m., he began screeching with more of the same problem and a fiery-red bottom. At this point, I was thoroughly freaked out and had my nose in the dusty toddler care books in my office. Of course, there is nothing one can do besides offer sips of water and keep track of what is happening as you let the malady--uh, run its course. I am just no good at having a sick child. Again, these things make me realize how lucky I am to have a kid who has a much better than average immune system.

Today I will keep him quarantined at the house. I'm low on sleep again and will likely have no work, so I will don my favorite sweats and let myself have a sick day with Erik.

It's a sad day when there will be no snacking on cookies, but we will somehow survive.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I hope Erik's feeling better soon.
Poor guy.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

My immune challenged kiddo gets sick so often and I still fret to the max! I call the drs office for advice, check my reference manuals, and try to stay calm. And snuggle with her as much as possible. Last week I called the drs. office because I wanted to know why snot was only coming out of one nostril and not both. Lol! I wanted to know!
XOXO
Amy

8:42 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Ummm... the best rememdy on those feetie pjs is THROW THEM OUT! I have been known to throw away a few soiled onesies. The Depression-era grandmothers might kill me, but I just can't do it :)

Hope Erik's feeling better soon!!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I hope he feels better soon. Poor little guy.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I hope Erik feels better soon.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

I hope Erik feels better

5:52 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Poor guy, hope he is feeling better soon. We are in the same boat over here. Emerson today blew through a diaper and was covered from neck to toes. Then she started puking about an hour after. I've been trying to give her even a tablespoon of liquid and she can't even hold that down. I just got her to bed and have a feeling it's going to be a long night. Needless to say, I'll be thinking of you.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

ow.. i hate tummy bugs :(
Poor little mite..
Im with Kerry, also been known to throw away clothing i just cant deal with!
I hope Erick is feeling better and you dont catch it!
xxoo

8:34 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Amen to what Kerry said. That is how I deal with messes like that too. I've thrown plenty of clothing away because of that reason. My hands in a bucket full of poopy water just makes me want to throw up! Yes my Gramma would see it differently. My mom always said, "throw them out!" Thank goodness I'm from this generation.
I did use cloth diapers for a bit, and realized how crazy that was!
I did stick with the cloth training pants though because they were more effective than pull ups! Threw them out too if the mess was too much!
I hope Erik is feeling better soon!
I hope you don't come down with it this time! Lysol baby!!!!!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I wouldn't even have attempted to try and clean the footie pjs - in the trash they would have went LOL

Sorry to hear he was so sick like that and I hope he is feeling much better!

1:24 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

It is just so sad to see any kid that is sick. You just feel so helpless as a parent. Isn't it great though that Erik is sick so seldom? I assume that he's doing well now? ~ jb///

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home