Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Heavy

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Heavy

I am heavy today.

My limbs are weighted with lead,
and my brain's a stone.

There is no quick fix for this plight.
No magic elixir in pretty glass bottles
or plastic cylinders with printed labels.
Apologies, sleep, spirits, prayers, bandages, regret, and effort
are of no use to me when I am this way.

My heart squirms, anxious and restless in its cage of bone,
yearning to be free but knowing it would dry up on its own.
I wish it would just crawl off and leave me, anyway,
like a glistening slug leaving a shiny, crimson trail.
But it won't. It never does.

Please.

No more brow furrows or distant whispers.
Just leave me alone to lie in a twist on my bed
and wait for relief from this indolent misery.
It will come eventually. It always does.

I am sorry.

But I am heavy today.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger kathi said...

It's hard when this heaviness is on us, and everyone feels this in their own way, each in their own dispair, for whatever reason...or no reason.
It's in those times that I hang on with all that's in me to the fact that it's always darkest before light.
Love you much.

10:11 AM  
Blogger camille said...

Hi Nance,
Thinking of you today. Hope you are feeling better soon. Love ya!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

*Leaving hugs and love* I know how hard it is when you're struggling with sadness and depression, but hang in there, I know now matter how bad it is, it will get better-- *hugs*

Best wishes for the start of a fresh new year *hugs*

6:56 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

I don’t think it’s depression that hits me when I feel my heaviest, but I swear it's her close cousin the blues, which really knocks me for a loop.

Thanks for sharing because we can all relate on some level. Oh, and I like the poet in you!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Love ya Nance :)

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home