Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: New Diagnosis

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

New Diagnosis


GRACIE UPDATE: The blood test results are in. My half-feral, clinically obese cat has HYPERTHYROIDISM. Hyper. How this happens in a cat her size is beyond me (and even the veterinarian). I am now required to administer medication to my pet just as many times daily as I am to my own son with special needs.

Oh, sure, I was in need of a good distraction from my problems this holiday season, but figuring out how to give this nasty beast a pill twice a day is a bit much. I tried canned food yesterday, and she wasn't having it. She hates meat. She loves margaritas, but somehow I think that might create more problems.

Hopefully, her daily diarrhea will cease now and she will be more comfortable. I'm half-afraid she will become pleasant and agreeable, as we all have endured 10 years of feline freak show at this point. Time will tell. If I didn't love her so darned much, I wouldn't go through all of this. But I do. She is a reminder of much simpler times and doesn't mind being crammed in my armpit at night for a good cuddle.

Wish me luck.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Good luck. She looks just like our cat.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

So does that mean when she goes on meds she is going to gain weight? Crush up the pill, mix it up with water, pull into a syringe, blow on the cats face, shoot it down the throat, and she will swallow. Seriously, may dad told me that works. Try it, I want to know if it really does! Yes, I am laughing as I write this. Oh poor Gracie, she is lucky to have you.
XOXO
Amy

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY... THE SHE-DEVIL! I DO HOPE THAT GRACIE IS DOING BETTER AND FEELING UP TO HER OLD NASTY WAYS! HAHAHAHA WHAT WILL WE ALL DO WHEN WE COME FOR A VISIT AND SHE COULD POSSIBLY BE KIND AND SWEET? WHAT ABOUT THE DEEP GROWLS FROM HELL AND BACK FROM UNDER THE GUEST BED???

WISHING YOU LOOOOOOOTS OF LUCK!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

OK I am a bad bad friends on the blog hood MIA is me!!! I hate that Gracie is ill and I love the video and and all the Christmas decorations meanings...(I have that too) You have been a busy lady and a big writer I have stopped my self a million times from commenting on every post I just read so you are only getting what is now fresh.....YOu are so not alone it is rare these days for Chris or I to make it through Church Tatum wants nothing to do with the nursery and it sucks....I really feel for you about Ericks ears being so sensitive I wish I knew what to tell ya or how to help....Just know I know it Sucks I am always hear although a million miles a way just a call when we can get our times correct and I am always thinking of you...I LOVE YOU NANCE!!!! Oh yeah...Brian and his brother look alike... :)I think anyway

6:50 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ok this may sound bad but that is a GOOD diagnosis!
The vet i used to work for had a ferel 23yr old ginger moggie with said problem and those tablets worked wonders!
LOL - the only problem with doing what Amy suggested is that the cat is going to keep the hell away from you from then on!
The shove down and rub the throat method works too - they eventually start resisting less...
Good Luck!!

7:06 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

I've got 4 cats and 4 dogs. Tell me about it.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Good luck on the pill - I used to have to give our cat Claritin - that lasted one day tops.

I'm glad she's ok! :)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

glad you got some answers as to what was going on; good luck with giving the meds! Hope it works and she feels better!

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home