Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Retraction

Friday, October 12, 2007

Retraction



My husband was quietly reading my blog at his desk this evening while I sat at mine with my back to him transcribing medical reports. I heard a slightly haughty snort of disgust coming from his direction. We turned to look at each other at this point, and he said, "Mary Lou Retton?"

As you probably know, I compared his church pew-hurdling style to that of Mary Lou Retton in my last post. He apparently took great offense to this. I attempted to explain that the only two gymnasts I really could think of at the time were Mary Lou Retton and Mitch Gaylord. Knowing many of my readers were born about the time Mitch Gaylord and Mary Lou Retton led the United States to victory during the 1984 Olympic Games, I chose to compare him to Ms. Retton, a generally more recognizable Olympic athlete whom I greatly admire. Besides, Brian might consider Mitch a bit of a pretty boy, so Mary Lou seemed like a good bet.

Apparently, this did not go over well.

I asked him then just whom he would like to be compared to, and he quickly stated he preferred Edwin Moses, an American track and field athlete who won gold medals in the 400-meter hurdles at the 1976 and 1984 Olympics. I have to admit that this seemed like a decent enough choice, although some might consider it more than slightly presumptuous to choose their own celebrity comparison for such purposes. I still love the guy anyway.

I'm sorry, honey. No, really.

So there you go. My first retraction.

P.S. If you start a blog, please compare me to Audrey Hepburn.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My visual of the Mary Lou Retton pew leap was quite manly.. besides, I think Brian is taller.

Love, Mom

Maybe an annual pew leap fundraiser? Hmmmm

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! I can see just such an argument occuring in my house. However, I must side with you on this one. If you written Edwin Moses, I'd have thought, "Huh?" I think you were going for the gymnast/vaulting imagery (which was well accomplished with the Mary Lou reference), as opposed to commenting on his manhood or form.

Sandra :)

3:39 PM  
Blogger All moments remembered said...

OMG I am sooooo on the floor right now!! He is such a man!!!

I finally dragged my butt to the ER today to find out I have a monster form of strep throat. Got a shot and meds to take at home. Oh and my left lung sounded bad. Well I guess I was not all nuts thinking I was on my death bed all week.

I have adopted a family in France with a 4 yr old with Cancer. Met them through the blog world. I am going to do a scrapbook a-thon to get others to make small scrapbooks. I want to send them to the treatment center he is in for all the moms to have. They will be able to just add photos. The mom I told this to said it would be wonderful! SO if you know any scrapper out there tell them to email me at allmomentsremembered@yahoo.com I can give them all the details and a link to Julians World (the sick little guy).
Thanks Nancy,
Stacey

6:02 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

I can see Moses having been a better fit, I did sort of smile when you compared him to Mary Lou. :)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

ha ha...I got such a chuckle out of this post! I could picture my hubby doing the same thing - he sits on the couch on his laptop while I'm on the computer at the desk, and I could hear him snorting too LOL

9:10 PM  
Blogger All moments remembered said...

HEY Nancy,
If any of your readers are also scrapbookers and they want to do something sweet for another child out there send them to my blog to find out how they can help. Come meet Julian a 4 yr old with brain cancer, read his mothers words and help support her. Lets do something nice for lots of kids with cancer and their families. So fellow scrapbookers see my blog at http://allmomentsremembered.blogspot.com/

1:01 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

May be Bruce Jenner might have been a BETTER choice? Us guys have our issues too! ~ jb///

8:17 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Boys are funny...you would hav e been wrong no matter what athlete yiu referred him to LOL

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home