Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Ring Around the Mommy

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ring Around the Mommy

Erik woke up at 6:15 today ready to hit the ground running. As I groaned through a case of worsening exhaustion and tried to dissolve into the couch underneath a blanket in front of the news this morning, Erik literally ran circles around me, singing "Ring Around the Rosy." He allowed me to cuddle with him two seconds at a time here and there. I later tried to grab a minute for myself to use the bathroom and closed the door behind me. Shortly thereafter, I heard Erik's footsteps approaching on the other side of the door. I then heard his slightly muffled voice say, "DING DONG!" He is quite fond of doorbells these days and expects doors to open when he imitates one. I had to laugh.

I am slowly adjusting to my crazy new schedule. I dropped Erik off at school this morning, after which I headed straight to the gas station and then the salon, planning to pick up work on my way back across town with a little free time before the school bus pulls into the driveway. I did it all in one trip today! I'm finally making this work somehow!

The salon always lifts me emotionally. The ambiance was sullied only by the skunky scent of perm solution. I spotted the odoriferous offender sitting primly under the dryer right by my stylist's work station. I have been Carole's client since high school. We both sported gravity-defying, hairspray-soaked manes of giant hair in the 1980s and early 1990s. Our hairdos are much smaller these days, but we cackle through my entire appointment, obnoxious as ever. I love making her laugh. That is one place where I always get a hug. It always surprises me when she puts her arms around me as I hand her money, but it's something I never get tired of.

Lastly, as always, thank you for all of your comments. You all make me smile. I'm not nearly as nervous as I was, of course, about Erik's echo as I was a year ago, because I know he doesn't have ASD. However, there was narrowing in one area that we were concerned about, and there is always the fear of seeing anything new. My anxiety mostly comes from this town not being very large and the doctors here seeming to be completely uninterested in monitoring much of anything. I once had to practically beg for a urine calcium test (they told me a serum test was unnecessary). The results are not something I can control, but I know we are so very lucky to have a strong child without many problems thus far.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I know what you mean about begging for tests. I really have a hard time asking for things but I am getting better. I too had the 80's hair or as my husband likes to call it "jersey hair". I have a pretty small face so I can't even believe I thought that looked good.

12:11 PM  
Blogger camille said...

I love the salon too! I just got my hair colored and it's so much brighter and i can tell that because of it, there is a spring in my step! Of course, I'm still not actually "styling" it how I should be, but hey, at least the color is rocking. What more could a girl ask for?? Other than wine and dark chocolate available around the clock??

12:19 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Salon day for me tomorrow! Isn't great how an hour at the salon seems to fill you up spiritually? Even if ya get it all cropped off like me. Last week I took Avery to my hair stylist, and even that had a similar bouyant feel as when I go for myself, it was fun and she did it for free. I ALWAYS wanted big hair but my hair is so thin and I could never achieve the dynamics of a 90 degree bang. Erik sounds like such a great kid, I love hearing about how unique and charming he is.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Dawnita Paslay said...

AAAAAAH! LOVE ME TIME AND HAIR DO TIME! GOOD FOR YOU GIRL!

I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAVE EVER THOUGHT OF TAKING ERIK TO SACRED HEART IN EUGENE FOR HIS ECHO? JUST A THOUGHT... AWESOME HOSPITAL AND THEY ROCK WHEN IT COMES TO KIDDOS! :) PERHAPS YOU COULD PUT THIS LITTLE TID BIT IN THE JUST IN CASE FILE? :)

I HAVE CALLED AND E-MAILED MY PRAYER WARRIORS FOR ERIK AND HIS UPCOMING ECHO!

BIG HUGS!
DAWNITA

3:48 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ughh! I feel your pain! I had to beg the GP for a blood calcium test as i dont give Jai much calcium there was a nagging voice in the back of my head going - if he doesnt have WS you are setting him up for osteoporosis later in life - the tests came back normal thank goodness.
LOL @ the 80s hair. Luckily i was too young in that era!!
I really need a cut and colour - i must bribe my ex-hairdresser neighbour with some wine...

6:45 PM  
Blogger All moments remembered said...

Hey Nancy :)

I can hardly wait to meet Erik in person. He has sooo much charm and such a sweet heart from the sounds of all your stories. I just started working a job at my kids school. Have not worked in like 11 yrs. YIKES!! So we need to do a weekend deal with Heidi sometime.
A friend of mine just had her 3rd child, her first son. He was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy yesterday. I had thought about telling her about your blog. No they are not the same thing but maybe having other moms here who understand dealing with children with special needs would help her. He heart is broke in two at the moment. She is a young mom in her 20's and this was so never expected like I have read off of you here have said. NO one ever thinks it could happen in their lives. You handle all of this with amazing grace!! :)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

Who doesn't like salon-therapy?

You've been tagged! =)

10:33 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Due for a trip to the salon myself.
I love hearing about Erik's personality.
Since Caleb was diagnosed I haven't had to beg for a test or feel like I needed to convince anyone about anything medically. Before hand it was such a different story. I hated it. xoxo, Heather

9:56 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

LOL... oh, Erik! You make me smile every day. :)

As soon as you get used to your schedule you'll wonder when you had time to do everything when Erik was around all day!

It's a good thing you are medical-savvy... what a pain in the butt you have to deal with.

love you~

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home