Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: My Desktop Free View

Friday, September 28, 2007

My Desktop Free View

Rosemarie is an extremely patient, kind woman. She knows I am hit and miss with tags and blogging activities but took a chance on me with this one anyway.

This is an interesting sort of meme. The instructions (see below) are to post a snapshot of what your computer desktop looks like right this very second. I was intrigued by this until I realized revealing what sits on my desktop felt sort of like telling the world what color underwear I have on. Once I got over my very unexpected e-hangup, I decided to participate. Why not? Besides, just yesterday I safely retired my Chippendales Dancer computer wallpaper in exchange for something fresh and much more refined (yes, I am kidding).

If you don't know by now, I am a medical transcriptionist. This involves sitting at a computer for hours at a time, often ignoring natural physiologic cues for food and potty breaks in the interest of making twelve cents a line typing operative reports, progress notes, and lab results. It's a physically and mentally draining job that isn't for most people. Most of the transcriptionists I know are a few french fries short of a Happy Meal--myself included. I have often joked that someday when I grow up, I would like to have a career you can't order from a television commercial. Unfortunately, more seasoned transcriptionists like me are being replaced by much cheaper, lower quality outsourcing services on the other side of the planet or by voice recognition. For the most part, I absolutely love what I do. I provide a much-needed service, and it has taken very good care of me in return. I have worked in almost every field of medicine over the years. I'm also quite talented at diagnosing and treating friends and family with various ailments and injuries (I diagnosed my neighbor with Raynaud's syndrome a couple months ago). Not only is the job tedious and draining, it's sometimes depressing, depending on the patient. While I work, I often choose to go to my happy place mentally, which changes daily. I often put photos of places I have been on my desktop, and half of my brain is often there, sometimes in a beach chair sipping whatever brains like to sip from a plastic coconut shell with a day-glo paper umbrella in it. I can type in a sort of autopilot mode almost faster than I can speak, and I often find myself thinking about two or three things at once, my happy place usually being one of them.

Let me introduce one of my happy places to you. No, this is not an adobe meth lab, although I realize it might appear to be at first. This is actually the Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel on Catalina Island not far off the coast of Southern California. Zane Grey was an American writer who wrote adventure/pulp fiction novels, many of which were about the Wild West, a region close to my heart, in the early 1900s. He was also one very talented fisherman. This hotel was once his home. I was lucky enough to visit Catalina Island on our honeymoon and took in the fabulous view of Avalon Bay from the quiet, empty pool area at the hotel. This ain't the Hilton, baby. It's old and drafty and probably home to a few very rowdy ghosts. Of course, I fell in love with it immediately. There are no TVs, phones, or clocks in the rooms, and standing on the balcony makes you feel as if you have traveled backwards in time.

I would like to actually stay in this hotel someday. As a new bride over six years ago, it would have been a waste on me, as most of the trip was, as stress had covered my hands in bumpy hives and I had been shaking like a nervous poodle nonstop for three days at that point. Someday I'll go back, and I plan on reading Riders of the Purple Sage by the pool in one sitting.



In my tradition of not wanting to pressure anyone or leave anyone out, consider yourself tagged if you wish and follow the instructions below.

My Desktop Free View Instruction:

A. Upon receiving this tag, immediately perform a screen capture of your desktop. It is best that no icons be deleted before the screen capture so as to add to the element of fun.You can do a screen capture by:

[1] Going to your desktop and pressing the Print Scrn key (located on the right side of the F12 key).

[2] Open a graphics program (like Picture Manager, Paint, or Photoshop) and do a Paste (CTRL + V).

[3] If you wish, you can “edit” the image before saving it.

B. Post the picture in your blog. You can also give a short explanation on the look of your desktop just below it if you want. You can explain why you preferred such look or why is it full of icons. Things like that.

C. Tag five of your friends and ask them to give you a Free View of their desktop as well.

D. Add your name to this list of Free Viewers with a link pointing directly to your Desktop Free View post to promote it to succeeding participants.

List of those who participated in the tag:

iRonnie
skippyheart
thesserie
domlawrenceosb
sasha-says
maiylah’s snippets
verb
The Ramblings of a Woman
Miscellaneous Matters
Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Believer said...

Awesome desktop view, and story to go with it! Thanks for participating. I sure hope you get to return with a good book for a little rest and relaxation. You deserve it! Every mommy deserves it!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Can I ask you about being a medical transcriptionist? Do you do this at home or in an office away from home? I've thought about getting into something like that from home, but now you've got me wondering if that would be a good move or not :)

1:52 PM  
Blogger All moments remembered said...

Still lauging at the thought of anyone seeing my desktop. What a mess! Scrapbook supply stuff all over it!!
I hope you have a wonderful week. I start my first week in 100 yrs working full time out of the house. I did 2 days last week but the thought of 5 freaks me a bit. :)

Stacey

6:42 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

I love this picture, and I, too, would love staying there. Very cool.

5:28 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Nance ~ Boy I am right on top of your posts aren't I? Well... I have missed several. Hey! What can I say? I'm LAZY!But I am now getting around to some that I may have missed. I know this post (of mine) came way before you starting reading my little blog. But when I read about your honeymoon location, it reminded me of this old post of mine. http://lz-blogger.blogspot.com/2006/05/avalon-santa-catalina-island.html I hope it will bring back some happy memories of your "special place in the sun!" ~ jb///

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home