Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: News at Eleven

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

News at Eleven



This weekend when Brian was hiking Erik a toy football, it went whizzing by, and Erik said, "I missed it!" Brian and I both stopped in our tracks and looked at each other totally surprised. He has a lot to say these days with "No want it" and "I want-___- please-okay" being a couple of his favorite phrases.

The big news is that he is really picking things up in his occasional days spent at daycare (besides germs that almost kill me). He has napped for this woman every time and Monday actually ATE BROCCOLI AND CARROTS. You may remember that I call Erik a "cookievore." Once I overcame a slight twinge of jealousy, I was so thankful! Since he has gone to this woman's home with the other children, he has successfully napped here once again. Yesterday I bit the bullet and put a little ranch dressing (oh, how I miss ranch dressing) and some quartered baby carrots on his plate at lunch, and he ate them with only a little coaxing. I almost fell the freak over. For his morning snack, I had given him a couple Nilla Wafers and milk, which is something I rarely allow, and I'm thinking that perhaps I need to remove the stick from my backside and relax a wee bit. It paid off! I am learning a lot from daycare, too!

Erik is retrieving his step stool so he can stand at the kitchen sink now, and I sometimes put warm water and bubbles in front of him to play with. Oh, sure, I mix in a couple dirty cups now and then for him to wash, but he doesn't seem to notice or mind. He ran inside last night when I announced it was bathtime (he usually sobs when it's time to come inside) and has very quickly and quietly lowered himself into the bathtub when I turned to get a towel in the last couple of weeks, diaper and all. That boy loves being in the water.

Our IFSP approaches on September 10th, and Erik will attend school and likely take his first school bus ride the very next day. I'm trying not to be a wreck, but I am anyway. My mother told me yesterday that she was a wreck when we went to school for the first time, so she didn't see why I shouldn't be. That made me feel a lot better. It's funny how my time revolves around Erik progressing and succeeding, but when it actually happens after all of that work, it's so frightening! I'm a happy wreck these days.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

"Happy wreck" i like that!
Eric is just leaping ahead at the moment! Its fantastic to see :)
Its funny how they seem to go through bursts of learning - i know Jaiden does this every 6 months or so he has a learning month where he just starts "getting" so much more, then plateaus again for a while while he practices all that he has learned over that period.
I love the photos, Eric is certainly a handsome little guy!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Maybe I should send my 7 year old to this lady. She hates fruit and only eats peas and corn, and peas sometimes are a fight.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I'm so happy Erik is eating more, saying more, and napping more! I love the pics! He is a doll!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Goodie! I'm smiling big for you. As a mother, I can understand the "happy wreck" syndrome. Many have gone before you and many will follow.

I am so glad to hear of his new phrases and habits through the social interaction at Day Care.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That is great Erik enjoys daycare...Emma always seemed to eat better for other too....Emma starts school Wed, I 'll be a wreck with ya...our babies are growing up.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

The first few days they are at school are really sad... then you realize you get to go to the bathroom, watch trashy TV, get all your chores done..... Especially since they are only gone a few hours, not all day.

Every first day of school, my girlfriend gets a massage and goes out for lunch. What a nice tradition!

Erik looks so grown up... watch out for the other things he might pick up from school :)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

The first few days they are at school are really sad... then you realize you get to go to the bathroom, watch trashy TV, get all your chores done..... Especially since they are only gone a few hours, not all day.

Every first day of school, my girlfriend gets a massage and goes out for lunch. What a nice tradition!

Erik looks so grown up... watch out for the other things he might pick up from school :)

11:42 AM  
Blogger All moments remembered said...

WOW I need the name of that daycare! My youngest son (7) eats NOTHING!! Okay maybe a pb&j and mac and cheese but that is nearly it. Congrats on introducing new foods and it working.
As for the school thing.... my 5 yr old starts kindergarten next week and let me say I am a wreck. I think she is still my baby and not ready to be thrown into that pack of wolves. I of course plan to be in her class often!! School bus? OHHHHH man I hate that! My son rides it and loves it but she is a baby still what if she got off at the wrong stop? Maybe they will let me ride the bus too!! Oh the things we moms have to deal with!!
I am going to fill my sink today and add a few dirty dishes and see what happens!! Good idea!! Think laying the vac across the floor would get them to want to use that? Hmmmmm :)
Stacey

12:32 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Nancy ~ It is tough (as parents) to let them grow up sometimes. But be thankful that he has great day-care and that he'll be able to go to school. I am also glad to hear that Eric (also the name of one of my sons) have something in common... I too always say, "I want-___- please-okay". The BIG difference is... that no one cares when I say it! ;-) ~ jb///

12:42 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Well, besides the germs I'm glad that daycare is going well. Sounds like Erik is doing so well, I love to hear it. He looks so grown up. In fact, Ella now travels around the house with her little stool. It is very cute, but she has placed it right on top of my bare toes one too many times. Her favorite stool activity is helping me load the washing machine. I hand her the clothes and she puts them in the washer. Not great when you are in a hurry, but she loves it!

5:55 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

He's surprising everyone, isn't that cool? I'm so happy he's doing so well at daycare and even mom is learning a bit too. Good stuff!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That is soooo wonderful he's doing well at daycare. I'm sure it's a relief for you also.
It amazes me what Michaela will eat anywhere else but home. She will eat anything from the school cafe--I make it at home, NO WAY. I mean, come on.....my cooking can't be worse than a school lunch room's?!!

4:38 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

Peer pressure working to your advantage. :) Abi has grown so much since going to school this year too. I bet Erik will surprize you all the time with the new stuff he learns!
Baths and washing dishes are two of my tricks for getting Abi to come inside. She would live outside if we let her.

Noel

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home