Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Laboratory

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Laboratory

Funny. Nobody seems especially interested in assisting a woman on the brink of death today. I began to suspect I had a kidney infection as I began spiking a fever today and developing sweats. I called my gynecologist's office, and the nurse said that nobody could see me but that I was welcome to visit the hospital laboratory to drop off a urinalysis. She then informed me that it would take up to 72 hours for the results. Frustrated, I called the clinic where my primary care provider is located. I normally avoid that place like the plague, as it is my old place of employment. They said they would be happy to see me on Monday. As I have felt like Gravy Train for nearly a week now, I felt my emotions began to seep to the surface, voiced a brisk thanks but no thanks, and hung up the phone. My next option would be sitting in our urgent care center with Erik. The last time I did this, it took a full four hours to be seen. Desperate, I loaded Erik into the car and we visited the hospital laboratory, where my anger was quickly extinguished by the surprisingly delightful, helpful women at the desk who seemed to fall in love with Erik, gave him stickers, and actually cared about my plight. Erik and I retired to the laboratory lavatory, and I completed my urinalysis. He was such a patient little guy through all of it, and I felt so bad for boring him to tears all week thus far that when we arrived home I slathered him in sunscreen and let him push his dump truck around the property for a half an hour. There was no work for me to do today, so I relaxed on the porch.

It's weird, but I actually feel better. Maybe the Tylenol is kicking in. I suppose it will be nice to know my guts aren't frying, too. Just a mere 72 hours until I find out. I might as well be in a covered wagon on the Oregon Trail with this kind of health care at my disposal.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

oh you poor thing! ouch!
There is nothing worse than having an infection like that and nowhere to get it fixed! if i get a UTI its ALWAYS in the middle of the night so i spend the next 7hours franticly waiting dancing crying and running around till i turn up at the nearest medical centre demanding antibiotics NOW! LOL my GP knows me now and just hands over the script without me having to wait for tests!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

:( I hope you feel better. Can you turn the TV on for Erik and just wallow on the couch? Feel better ~

4:52 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Hopefully you will some answers soon.
You have to love the health care system!!

5:20 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Katie -- I usually have horrible pain with UTIs, too. My UA was clear. Maybe I just have malaria.

Kerry -- Erik doesn't like TV but I have been putting on music for him and collapsing!

Laura -- I have worked in the health care system for years now, and it has only intensified my hatred for it.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

I hope that you feel better soon. I do not wish a kidney infection on my worst enemy! I wanted to curl up and die the last time I had one. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long for some answer that leads to relief.

Noel

6:22 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh Nancy, you poor bugger...
Malaria, LOL you'd want to hope not!
My dad had that when he lived in Papua New Guinea in the 70's - it almost killed him!
Hope you are feeling better as you read this, Take care.
xxoo

8:22 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

There's nothing worse than feeling sick and having no one professional to help us out on the spot. Who wants to wait five days when you've already felt like crap for days already?

I sure hope the test comes back with some evidence that something minor is wrong so that you can swiftly take care of the issue and start feeling like your old self.

As far as our health care system, it’s a love/hate relationship. We must take the good with the bad...always...we have no choice!

So glad you found a solution.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Take care of yourself, Nancy. I hope you get feeling better soon...

11:03 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I hope you are feeling even better today, Nancy. What a nightmare healthcare is!

6:34 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Good grief! Darlin', I'm so sorry! I am glad, though, that you are feeling better, but I'll be waiting to hear the results in 72... I am praying for a complete healing, regardless of the illness.
Erik's a sweetie, and such a good kid!

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home