Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: New Beginnings

Sunday, August 26, 2007

New Beginnings



For once I woke up this morning not feeling like a frumpy old lady hiding in baggy clothing. My new attempt at taking care of myself has paid off in three months. Big time. I am unable to state I simply reached my weight loss goal anymore, as I have lost much more than I imagined I could or would. Once I set my mind to it, I lost a grand total of 30 pounds through good old-fashioned diet and exercise. I am a walking Weight Watchers advertisement. When one of my friends suggested I join with her three months ago, I never imagined my life would change like this. I don't do meetings, so I signed up on line and have been tracking myself. The eating disorder I have been babying for years that has kept extra weight on my body died a surprisngly quick death. All I needed was some sort of direction. Some sort of battle plan.

To celebrate, Shaena accompanied me to the neighborhood tattoo/piercing parlor Friday, and I chose a small, bejeweled stud for my navel. Even through I have four holes through my ears, they were placed eons ago in a jewelry store. I don't recall setting foot in a tattoo parlor before. I sat on a sparkly red bench in the sunlight streaming through a window draped with plastic stars while a couple very quiet, hip-looking, nervous young women stared at me, likely wondering what in the Sam Hill a woman my age was doing in a place like that. A very voluptuous, liberally studded young thing invited me back into a room with many windows and had me lie on a table that brought back brief but unpleasant medical memories. The young things looked on through the doorway as I lifted my shirt slightly and she examined my stomach. She stood me up in front of a mirror and marked on me with a purple ink pen before inviting me to relax again on the table and placing drapes around my freakishly deep belly button, talking nonstop through the whole procedure. I am unable to tell you exactly what happened next, as I decided to stare at the ceiling. Shaena stood at my side and watched clamps placed on my flesh, which I found quite uncomfortable. I was told to take a deep breath in and then slowly exhale, at which time she apparently pushed a giant, hooked needle through me without any sort of warning (or anesthesia) whatsoever.

AHHHHHHH, KELLY CLARKSON!

I felt a strange rush of warmth to my stomach, as if I had just consumed a shot of tequila. I pondered exactly what was happening to me physiologically. My body seemed to be under the impression I was wounded, but the sensation quickly passed, and I stood up. Done.

I was off to a fajita dinner with unbuttoned britches.

Today I turn 37. I feel pretty good about that because I feel like I'm healthy once again and I'm ready to let the world see me just a little more. I am over 10 pounds lighter than when I became pregnant and weigh about what I did when I walked down the aisle with sparkling hopes and dreams from the implied promise of a perfect life waiting for me. In a way, I feel like I'm starting over and stealing some of those hopes and dreams back. My innocence is long gone now, and I am old enough to know that life isn't as perfect as I once hoped. I can accept that, for the most part. At least I'm learning to.

I have new strength and a pretty, new battle scar.

Bring it on.

Labels: , , , , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thirty seven years today I couldn't have imagined in my wildest moments what you would be today!It's been quite a ride, and I'm happy we've reached where we are!

HBTY

Love, Mom

1:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Nancy!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Happy Birthday Nancy!! Congratulations on the weight loss.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Happy Birthday ya gorgeous girl!
Congratulations on achieving your goals! I hope your belly doesnt hurt too much ;-)
xxoo
Katie

7:04 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Happy birthday!!! I am so impressed you lost 30 pounds - it is like two of Bradys. Great job!!!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Dawnita Paslay said...

Happy Birthday you young, hot, sexy thing you! May this new year bring so much joy and perhaps a wish or two will be granted! Next year we will celebrate our birthdays together!

I love you bunches and am so blessed that you are my friend and sister!

Dawnita

8:21 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Happy, happy birthday!! Wow, a belly piercing. Girl, your balls are bigger than mine...serioulsy.

I'm glad to know you, you're a wonderful 37 year old woman and I'm proud to know you.

8:40 PM  
Blogger camille said...

Haaaaaappppppy birrrrthdayyyy!! (I'll refrain from singing it to spare your ears). Whew! A belly ring. I also felt quite exhilarated when I got my nose piercing done and haven't regretted that! It's fun to be a bit wild :)

4:25 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Birthday!!

I couldn't imagine ever being brave enough to get my belly pierced, but you have shown us time and time again that you are much braver than most.

I hope you have a wonderful day and congrats on your weight loss, what an awesome accomplishment!!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Great self esteem is some pretty strong battle armor, ehh? Congrats I am very proud of you! And Happy happy birthday.
XOXO
Amy

8:19 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

Happy Birthday!!! I am very proud of you for losing weight and then going to get pierced! That is cool. It is something I have thought about doing often but never have....maybe someday!

Hope you had a great Birthday!
Noel

9:50 AM  
Blogger All moments remembered said...

HaPpY BiRtHdAy!!!!!!!!! What a great day!! Heidi and I did our belly buttons years ago and I still love mine!! We also did braces at the same time and I don't recomend them! :)
You have SOOOOO inspired me about weight watchers! I have gained 27 lbs over 2 yrs, no pregnanies during that time either to blame it on. Ask Heid I am always needing to diet and its all I think and talk about. I am sooo going to check out the online WW today. About the belly button, make sure to soak with the salt water often it really does help it heal quick! Also watch out for the laundry basket!! I have so many times been carrying one and went to sit it down, drugged it acrossed my belly and caught my ring, LETS say OUCH!!!! :) Go buy some low rise pants too skinny girl!!
Stacey

11:54 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Nancy ~ 30 lbs? WOW that is darn impressive! But between that and the birthday... I am not sure I would have celebrated with an belly ring (is that what they're called?). I just wanted to say both CONGRATULATIONS and also HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! ~ I hope it was a GREAT ONE unzipped pants an all! ~ jb///

1:00 PM  
Blogger All moments remembered said...

Hey Nancy, Can I tag you? What is tagging? Go to my blog and see my latest blog and you will see. You copy the questions and answer them. Then you pick 5 others to tag and they do the same on their sites. I only know a few people with blogs. I think your answers would be fun though. So if you are up to it any time soon..... As Nancy dials Heidi's phone # and smacks her through the phone for giving me your blog site! :)
HAPPY Birthday again,
Stacey

10:32 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Happy belated birthday! Mine is right around the corner as well. I'm not looking forward to them like I used to. Pretty much after 21, i was done. Congrats on your lighter, healthier self! That is a great feeling I'm sure.. xoxo Heather

4:41 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!
Sounds like you had a fun one. Congratulations on the weight loss.
I turn 40 in April, so my girlfrinds & I have already planned a long girls weekend away and the bellybutton piercing!!
(So, did it really hurt that bad?!!)

5:39 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Happy B-day Late I am a SLACK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home