Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Superstar!

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Superstar!





I'm sorry to say that the majority of my photos of the party did not turn out very well. Disposable cameras are not what they used to be. The top photo is Rob, my neighbor, and Calvin, the gentleman who was kind enough to let us stay in his home (very brave!). The look on Calvin's face says it all. The second photo, of course, is of Lisa and yours truly.

Erik and I went to pool therapy this morning. After I got Erik settled with his therapist in the 94-degree water, I ran to the grocery store to purchase a few things I need to bake goodies for Easter at my parents' house and then enjoyed some quiet time in the waiting room. Erik's therapist is working with a fresh-faced, wide-eyed intern for the next six weeks. When the four of us walked down the hallway to the pool, Erik said, "Tubby!" The intern laughed and said, "Oh, HE'S the one who says tubby!" Erik has a real reputation there. When we walk in to this facility, the reaction we get reminds me a lot of the one Norm got on Cheers when he came through the door.

Erik shared the pool with another patient, whom I ran into briefly as I went to scoop Erik out of the water at the end of the session. When I asked how Erik did, this stranger immediately commented, "Oh, he's a star. We love him." I don't see many children at this facility. There are many middle-aged people with bad backs in excruciating pain and a foul humor, but Erik has yet to fail to fetch a smile from any of them.

I am becoming extremely efficient at packing for therapy away from home. I keep Erik's therapy bag (my old high school duffel bag) stocked with a tiny bottle of shampoo, froggie wash mitt with plastic bag to carry it in, fresh towels, swim diapers, books for the waiting room, regular diapers, snack foods, and warm clothing. Since the tiny shower area is not equipped for children, I have to make do and usually end up with a backache myself from hauling Erik around. I flip the shower seat down, plop Erik on his bottom, shower and shampoo him (if I remember, I start the shower before I get him out of the pool), get his diaper on without any place to lie him down, and struggle to get him dressed. The first few times I showered him, I came out in soaking wet clothing, but today I was completely dry. I think I am getting the hang of this.

Funny Erik Story: For some reason, Brian taught Erik how to say "Hello, Clarice" a la Dr. Hannibal Lecter from Silence of the Lambs. It all started when Erik started talking into the little hard hat that came with the big excavator Lisa R. gave him for his birthday. I suppose he did look and sound a little like Anthony Hopkins wearing that creepy prison mask in that movie. Now he just puts the yellow helmet on and says, "Hello, Clarissssse" over and over.

Poor Erik. He was destined to be weird from the very beginning in this family!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I think the next video has to be "Hello Clarise" that is so funny...Love the earings in the pic...you all looked cute

1:42 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

Like the pics, but too bad more didn't make it to publishing. ;)

Hello...is too funny!

9:53 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

Cute pic of you, though! And I love the Erik story, funny!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. Looks like you had an awesome time. And of course I love that little boy of yours.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home