Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Real Moms

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Real Moms



I have been tagged for the first time by Lizard Eater with the "Real Moms" meme. I'm so sorry, LE, that I am tardy posting on this subject! Without further ado, here is my response.

Real Moms Carry Kleenex

Since I became a mother, I have discovered that every pocket in my clothing contains either an empty string cheese/granola bar wrapper or one of those tiny packages of Kleenex (this in itself is disturbing, because I don’t recall ever buying them).

As a mother, you can no longer carry one of those adorable, beaded, postage stamp-sized purses like you used to. Remember the days of carrying only your identification, a tube of lipstick, and a couple $20 bills?

Being a mother requires being prepared for any natural disaster or act of God. If we suddenly became trapped in my vehicle for an entire week, I would likely emerge wearing a fresh coat of Cover Girl Almost Nude lipstick carrying a still sweet-smelling, smiling, well-nourished 2-year-old.

These days, my purse contains an extra diaper, wipes, baby powder-scented diaper disposal bag, an extra dose of reflux medication, Tylenol, iPod conveniently loaded with episodes of Sesame Street, packets of 50 SPF sunscreen, and a variety of portable snack foods -- and that’s just the top layer. This, of course, does not include my own personal hygiene and beauty products or items related to my own work or play. When my cell phone rings from the bowels of my purse, it is often impossible to locate it before the caller is sent to voicemail, as the phone itself works its way down beneath layers of these essential items far out of reach. There is a small circle permanantly etched on my checkbook cover from where a bottle of bubbles once precariously balanced in my purse as I toted it to the park.

It’s amazing a relatively small (read: 33 gallons) satchel can accommodate what my life requires. I think I have an explanation for this phenomenon. There are days I am quite positive that if I plunged my arm down through the depths of the paraphernalia in my purse, my hand would mysteriously emerge through a layer of winter clouds over a land called Narnia.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you just described my purse to a T.

Love you, Shaena

9:01 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

This is so true! I went out with my best friend today (who has two beautiful children), and had to try to get through the mess in her purse to find her keys-- it was full of pacifiers, a diaper-- you name it, it was there!

11:17 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Even if I didn't carry anything but i.d., phone, and keys, I'd still carry a big bag. Love them. Being able to fill them is just a plus for me.

On a completely different note, girl, you are an amazing writer.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Don't feel bad. I always carry Kleenex in my purse, especially when I'm at a restaurant. I have this thing about people blowing their noses in cloth napkins...I refuse to do that! Ew!

But on another note, I'm without child, and my purse has absolutely everything in it, from my iPod, cell, make up, MEDS, a huge ass wallet (with little in it), a bottle of water, Motrin, hair picks, mirrors, my inhaler, and even a phone charger.

Did I forget about the kitchen sink? (I know, I know, old joke!) I'd carry it in there if I could, believe me!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh my gosh you should see my purse...My motto is if it does not fit a sippy cup and a diaper it is not for me...

;)

3:44 AM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

LOOOOOOVE THE BAG... AFTER BROGAN GETS A BIT OLDER, WHAT WILL I CARRY IN MY BAG??? I WILL FEEL NAKED!!! PERHAPS BACK TO THE WALLET IN THE BACK POCKET OF A PAIR OF COMFY BLUE JEANS! OOOPS, I DO NOT HAVE THAT FIGURE ANYMORE TO PUT SOMETHING LIKE A WALLET ON MY BUTT NOR AM I A TEENAGER NO LONGER!

BIG HUGS,
DAWNITA

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the good ol' days of clutch purses. However, I do have to admit that I have used the excuse that Daven's bottle spilt in my purse and has soured. Hence...a new purse must be purchase. HAHA

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home