Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Not-So-Random Acts of Kindness

Friday, June 26, 2009

Not-So-Random Acts of Kindness



I was sitting at my desk yesterday when I saw the UPS truck rocket down the road, trailing a cloud of dry desert dust. I haven't ordered a thing, so I was surprised to see it rattle to a stop in front of our house. The box the driver left on the porch was addressed to Erik. Well, that explains it (not). I wonder what Erik would order if he could. Cookies? Puppies? A box full of wheels?

When Erik got up from his nap, he spotted the box and asked who brought it. I explained that the UPS man did but that I didn't know who sent it. He seemed to understand. I sliced open the tape with a nearby steak knife and opened the cardboard flaps. Inside the box was the cutest little boombox ever. You can even hook it to an iPod, which I had not seen before. There was no information regarding who sent this gift whatsoever.

Erik was suspicious but curious. He asked what kind of noises it would make. I reassured him that it would only make good noises and that I would never need to punch the thing to get it to start, although I crossed my fingers when I plugged it in and inserted a Sesame Street CD, hoping for the best. As it turned out, it's even more quiet than the other one was when it searches for the first track. Even that subtle sound bothers the Mighty Erik Quinn.

So, thank you from the bottom of my blackened heart, mysterious blog reader. I am having a really tough week, and you completely made my entire month. There is music in Erik's room again, thanks to you!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tes said...

What a wonderful suprise, your next month will be better. I promise, i have prayers in for it:)

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Angels are everywhere. Enjoy, enjoy.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

What a wonderful thing someone did. Reminds me of that MASH episode (Christmas) where Charles is getting all of these boxes from home - to give annon to the orphanage. Then people raz him about not contributing to the orphanage, and he can't say anything because it is supposed to be annon. I think pure acts of kindness are that way. I am not that good, I think.

12:39 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Nancy ~ How special that must have been for both of you; 1) for Eric to get a nice surprise and 2) for you to know that you are both loved by someone VERY special... Whoever anonymous is, I think that they might actually talk to those angels! God blesses us all in ways we don't even know about and may never understand! ~ jb///

9:20 PM  
Blogger camille said...

LOVE THAT!

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home