Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: The Sound of Mucus

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Sound of Mucus

Random Thought of the Day

Scent of Eucalyptus = Yummy

Scent of Eucalyptus + Poopy Diaper = Nasty Stench

Erik is sick with his first chest cold. I'm not feeling so hot, either, and have been up since 1 a.m. with my usual anxious, angry insomnia. We both smell like Vicks VapoRub. I did manage to indulge in two independent films while the guys were asleep during the dead of night, and that was almost fun. Erik and I eventually went out to drop off work and go to the store, and I bought some Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt, which is something I used to do years ago when I was in a foul humor. I wandered down the cleaning aisle and hoped to find a scented candle that struck my fancy but was too picky/olfactorily challenged to select one. I ended up with a very bizarre collection of items in our cart and couldn't remember exactly why we were there. Erik said hello to another family while we were out. They seemed to know him, but I had no earthly idea who they were. Being accustomed to his celebrity status, I let him do the talking. Later on he asked the very quiet, cranky man checking our groceries to give him a high five, which he did, much to Erik's delight and my surprise.

We did get to enjoy a family Superbowl gathering last weekend. The neighbors also joined us for some cocktails, burgers, chicken wings, and friendly gambling. Erik stood motionless in front of the television screen while Jennifer Hudson sang the National Anthem. Every once in a while a song will really seem to touch his soul. I find him in front of the stereo from time to time in a trance. Each muscle in his body seems to freeze. It is extremely unusual for Erik to be still while he is not unconscious or being held down. When the song was finished, he turned around smiling and said, "Again!"

I might need to purchase the Dreamgirls soundtrack.

Life drags on. I don't have a lot to report. My friend with ALS has been receiving IV antibiotics at the hospital for yet another lung infection, and he has horrible allergic reactions to the drugs. Erik has learned to say, "Watch this, Mama!" My feral cat and I spent Erik's nap time cuddled on the love seat this afternoon, but sleep never came for me. I'm off to drug my body into resting, and I hope tomorrow is better. I'm guessing Erik will take advantage of a rare sick day and stay home from school and therapy. We'll do this all over again. We are grouchy but really enjoy each other's company, in sickness and in health.

Erik and Brian, Ready for the Big Game

Rob, Lisa, Me, Mom, Bob, & Susan Enjoying Things in 3-D

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

:( Hope y'all feel better soon!! Stay cuddled up and watch some trashy TV - that always helps me :)

3:29 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

That was an awesome game for us Steeler fans. Hope you guys feel better soon. Noah has had this cough and if I put vicks on his feet at night he doesn't cough as much.

5:47 AM  
Blogger camille said...

I believe "olfactorally challenged" was my favorite part of that post. Love that wit!! haha.

I hope you guys are feeling better soon. I am cautious to say it, but I feel like we might (finally) be on the mend over here too. Connor was on 2 different antibiotics for a total of 30 days...one for a sinus infection immediately followed by an ear infection. Both included a nasty runny nose. And of course, Hailey picked up some of this...she got a bit of a runny nose/watery eye thing going on too. I'm getting real good at using the aspirator.

Speaking of AS-pirator. I have a funny story. Connor's pronounciation of preschool sounds awfully close to a**hole. Oh yes it does. So this morning he's eating a pancake and randomly says "a**hole." It was supposed to be a preschool day for him but unfortunately we got some snow last night and it got canceled. So sad for me!! But it was cool to hear him almost ask if he was going there this morning.

Ok, I've officially written a novel in your comment section. I apologize. It must be the cup of coffee I just consumed. I'm temporarily feeling energized so I should go do something productive like clean the kitchen...but I'll probably just end up on facebook. Chao!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I have been sick for about a week as well. Hard to get back in the swing of things.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Ha Ha! Louie and Ace did the same thing when Jennifer Hudson sang! They both stood completely still, frozen and in awe. When it was over they both signed for more. How cute!

We've all been sick too. Ugh. I'm so over it! Feel better!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Daven did the exact same thing when Jennifer Hudson sang. We pressed rewind on the DVR to let him take another listen. I love that about our boys.

Get Well Soon!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Funny. Sawyer loved Aretha Franklin's version of American the Beautiful during the inauguration, but he expressed displeasure at Jennifer Hudgen's singing. Maybe he has a bit of Simon Cowl in him.

I heard from one of Sawyer's therpists that one of the local school systems was close to shutting down due to an epidemic of flu. There is definitely some kind of nasty virus in our neck of the woods. Hope you feel better soon.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home