Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: HYN Update

Saturday, January 24, 2009

HYN Update

There seems to be a lot of talk about the show "How's Your News?" on the WS message boards. Some people are obviously uncomfortable with the concept. I admit that I was at first. I mean, what if people thought the show was funny and laughed?

*GASP*

It's a risk, for sure, to shine a light on what makes some of our children and peers different. To create vulnerability by not knowing how people will react to being interviewed by someone with a disability. But what if, along with the differences, viewers recognize a bit of themselves, too? Might it cause them to treat others a little differently in the future? I think what ends up being really exposed in the end is what's underneath the skin of the people being interviewed. And that makes some people really uncomfortable.

This show is not for everyone, and I respect that. I definitely share the same concerns about the exploitative nature of some forms of entertainment. There is some really awful stuff out there I choose to avoid. However, the more I learn about this particular show, the more I fall head over heels in love with it and the people in it. I hope it opens a few minds and hearts. Maybe it will even demystify and humanize disabilities in general. Who knows. I think it really holds a mirror up to how our society views and interacts with others, disabilities or not.

What it comes down to for me, though, is that just watching these people have a fabulous time makes me smile so much my face begins to hurt.

Here is the new trailer for the show, which airs February 8th on MTV. I have decided to record the program and throw a premiere party on Sunday, February 15th at 3 p.m. Cocktails and appetizers will be provided. If time allows, I will share the original documentary which inspired the TV series. Send me an e-mail if you would like to attend.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

That is so awesome. I can't wait. The people that make fun of our kids are the same people who will do it whether they have a show or not. They may as well get some fame and cash out of it.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gua said...

What would our world be like if it was common to see disabled people amongst the general public? If it became the norm?! I'm all for a NEW norm! This show is a step.. if people became used to dealing with the disabled day to day, they'd get over being uncomfortable and would start seeing them as peers... as other people. I really believe that!
You bet we'll be there!

Love, Mom

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I smiled through the whole clip! I loved it and totally enjoyed it! I believe this whole HYN thing ROCKS!!!

I would so looooooooooove to attend your party!!! But, we do live a looong way and I have to pick up my honey from the airport that weekend!

BIG Hugs,
Dawnita~

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks so awesome! Bravo to MTV for adding this to the lineup (part of me is afraid that it will be presented in an unkind way; I hope that's not the case). Wow, thanks for posting that, it brightened my day! Heidi

2:13 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I would LOVE so much to be there and watch it with you!!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Love the ad :) It looks like a great series, and i must say that Jeremy is the perfect man for the job! - unfortunatly it will probably never make it to free to air in Australia, i will have to see if i can download episodes from the net to watch!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I hadn't heard about this... I think I would like to tune in too. Can I come to the party???

4:36 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

Thank you. I have not seen the trailer and I am in love with them too!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Oh how I wish I lived close to you so I could attend:( I will be watching though.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

I have got it on my calendar now. Thanks!

9:51 AM  
Blogger camille said...

Adam and I just watched that clip together and everytime Jeremy came on, we both just laughed - he is hilarious and such a sweetie.
I wish I could come to your party! Thanks for posting this clip!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

I loved it! It made me smile and laugh.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi all

So happy to read about your reactions to the show and thanks for all the kind words about Jeremy. We are all so excited, especially Jer, and can't wait for the show to air. So - keep spreading the word and don't forget to laugh !
from sue, jeremy's mom

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home