Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Symbiotic

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Symbiotic

The mountains stand silent guard
steeped in the ailing remnants of night,
prepared to accept the first blush of sunrise
over earthtone puffs of frosty sage

I stand guard over my towheaded boy,
still sleeping and mumbling of firetrucks and excavators.
I'm armed only with a cup of rapidly cooling coffee,
prepared to accept his first contagious grins
that come when he opens sky-colored eyes.

I sigh and allow the great wall inside of me
to lift with a creak to admit the memories and thoughts
that insist upon haunting me like rude houseguests,
and feel them trickle into my once wonderfully sleep-numb brain,
simply too heavy to hold back for another hour.

My heart aches sweetly as I watch him
slumber in a koala bear-curl, clutching the tattered remains
of a formerly perfect, fluffy stuffed puppy
received at my perfect, pastel baby shower.
I marvel at the feelings in my heart that still reach me
through so many years of twisted scars and damage.

This child lives because I care for him.

I am reborn this morning as he unknowingly returns the favor,
even as he sleeps.

I live because he cares for me.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That brought tears to my eyes. Have a Happy Thanksgiving

8:28 AM  
Blogger camille said...

Such a beautiful poem.

If you ever decide to write a book, you know I'll be getting it the day it's published.

What lovely words to say about your child. "I live because he cares for me" - so true!!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Nancy.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

That was beautiful. Have a great thanksgiving.

5:54 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

You're talent simply blows me away. I love how you weave emotions with words and touch our hearts. Love it...and you.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Beautiful.
love ya Nance,
xxoo

5:01 AM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Beautiful. I had a visceral reaction to that last line. It was a combination punch in the gut/burst into tears thing. Jeez, Nancy, you coulda warned me!

Ava is with me for the weekend. When I look at her all snuggled in her crib my heart can barely hold the crazy in-love feeling I get. It brings me to tears.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Love to you!

Kim

3:11 PM  
Blogger All moments remembered said...

I hope you had a wonderful THANKSGIVING!!! It was a nice week off work but back to the grindstone tomorrow!! Stay Bundled up it is pretty darn cold these past few days!! Burrrr
Hugs,
Stacey

4:51 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

Profound! As you share the world around you in its beauty and splendor, but never forsaking the beauty of a parent/child relationship. A relationship that is unable to compare to others with give and take, and the exchange of love and caring. It is a gift and one you are unwrapping everyday!

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home